1969 Dodge Dart Swinger 340

-

WildOnce340

Reaction score
I have a 1969 Dodge Dart Swinger 340 with 4 speed. Thinking about converting to a automatic. Anyone have a rough feel as to the cost of such a project?

Thanks,
Jim

If it was me, I would consider an A500 out of a Dakota. You would have OD. Maybe run a 391 gear? Others will chime in. You can go 904 or 727 tranny.
Things to consider.
Tranny
Tranny lines
Radiator for lines
Convertor and bolts
Flex plate and bolts?
Dowell pins for engine to bellhousing Standard tranny are different (Don't use them)
Drive shaft?
Shifter and linkage. Column or floor?
Kickdown brackets and linkage.
Cross member and mount?
Probably missing something.

Jim cost is too much, and all the gathering of parts.

Why would you want to swap it over?

At 74, left knees needs replaced. Although, I'm told after healing, it should not be a problem. Just thinking out loud at this point.

I’m sure you could find someone who would 1 for 1 swap with you… heck I have everything and would do it if you were close.

i always answer these questions with a question: how big is a house?

the answer varies wildly.

in the broadest of terms, numbers and amount of lift:
>904/727 with an aftermarket floor shifter $$$
>904/727 set up with all factory stuff so it looks bone stock $$$$
>any type of 4 speed AOD
  • 42/46RH or A500/518 $$$$ plus fab work
  • 2004R or any "new" electronic controlled mopar unit same as above but with more initial $ investment for the transmission and/or control parts
  • after market "bolt in" kit (4L60, etc), least amount of work/fab, most amount of $$'s
if you're starting from zero all of the little stuff that supports an automatic just absolutely eats up money hand over fist: good converter is 500+, radiator or heat exchanger + lines & fittings, linkages, yoke/u-joint/driveshaft, mounts. oh you want a shift kit? +250 bucks please. oh you can't do that yourself? that'll be a grand, thanks.

My , Diaphragm clutch pushes pretty easy. It uses the same flywheel and disc as the previous B&B, which was beastly to push.
You can also just increase the leverage of the overcentering spring. If you combine this with a diaphram PP the darn thing will almost push itself down. However, if you do this, you have to limit the clutch departure, so that the pedal truly comes back up. And that means a pedal-stopper on the Floor, and perhaps more frequent freeplay adjustments, mileage wise. I mean once a year if you only put a few thousand "normal" miles on it every summer.

I/m only 71 so my knees are still working pretty good. I too have a 4-speed car, so one day I may be going down this road as well.

Jim, I've been looking for a 4 speed Dart and all I'm finding is automatics. Seriously if you buy one of those, and not have to change over a 4 speed which would be a shame, I would love to talk with you about buying yours. See my avatar? Thanks, and hope you consider it, MIke

-
Back