1970 318 dip stick tube broken off

-

Gordon Selbig

Reaction score
I wiggled my 318 dip stick tube to pull it out,to replace it. It snapped off.I checked a 273 and the tube length is shorter. Any tips to remove broken tube. Thanks

I had to drill mine out i couldn't get it to budge with an easy out. I started with a smaller drill bit and worked up to 3/8 it eventually got so thin it pulled out around the drill bit. I cleaned the whole out with brake cleaner and compressed air. My engine is out of the car so I didn't have to worry about the oil pan being on, I wouldn't suggest doing it this way with the oil pan on.

Remove the oil pan and use a punch to punch it out from the bottom.

hi Gordon, my 69 340 tube is rusty crusty and bent so i removed it, do you know where i can get an exact replacement tube ... thanks Rich

hi Gordon, my 69 340 tube is rusty crusty and bent so i removed it, do you know where i can get an exact replacement tube ... thanks Rich
I found a chrome one from Autozone spectre 5721. Says it fits 318;340-360 was to long ,going to cut it and use old dip stick. Haven’t removed old one out ,yet

If you're doing this without removing the pan, coat a tap of the proper size with grease and thread it into the broken off stub. Grab the tap with vice grips or something similar and pull it out. If you don't have a tap, you can also use a big screw or dent puller type slide hammer. Next time, don't "wiggle" the tube to loosen it. Put a tapered punch into the tube, grab the top of the tube with vice grips, and then rotate the tube as you gently pull it up and out.

I created my slide hammer for this chore. Fill flutes of 5/16 tap with bearing grease to hold the small amount of shavings. Length of all thread rod, a piece of black pipe, couple flat washers, and a nut.

I used a slide hammer to remove dip stick tube. I tapped a bolt to fit, put locktite on it.let it set a week. After 12 slides ,out it popped.
P_20201208_152603.jpg
P_20201208_152620.jpg
P_20201208_152644.jpg

There’s a few of the restoration suppliers that carry reproductions. Try Mega Parts. I’ve been looking for a replacement for my 69 D100. The tube is about 15 1/2”. That’s about twice as long as a passenger car.

-
Back