1970 DUSTER 340 FACTORY EXHAUST END CUTS w/o TIPS???

-

V24x2

Reaction score
Hello all fabo members. Might ANYBODY out there have an original exhaust 70 Duster 340?? My car(70’s!)didn’t have the tips and although they look cool, I’m doing without since they weren’t there originally. ANY PICS OF ANY KIND would be greatly appreciated of the cut.....the area of exit.....tipped below or above the bumper....etc! THANKYOU in advance for any help!

maybe ??

mopar-collectors-this-is-the-70-duster-340-you-have-been-looking-for--3.jpg

Is that how they were? Is that the factory exhaust on such a beautiful car???

1970 Duster 340's did not come from the factory with exhaust tips.....they were not an option. They all would have the turn down exhaust pipes as show on the blue car above.

1970 Duster 340's did not come from the factory with exhaust tips.....they were not an option. They all would have the turn down exhaust pipes as show on the blue car above.
Yup, now if I could only get a few more pics to show my exhaust guy we would be in business! I googled a few but if I could get a couple original cars w some azz end pics, that would be perfect !

Picture in post 2 is the correct shape - the tailpipes were tiny

your 'gonna P*** people off at cruz or car shows. As soon as you start it there will be times where everyone behind will be in a cloud of dust! That's the only reason i put tips on mine.

if you still need a good close up i can get you some tomorrow.

Remember, the '70 Duster 340 had 2 1/4" exhaust pipes ALL the way back.

I don’t believe so from the factory.

IIRC they get smaller after the mufflers. Look at the OD of a factory tip.

Last edited:
OE correct shape on a B body... all I can offer... but suspect the A body would have been done the same.
beerestoration2018 472.JPG
beerestoration2018 485.JPG

Exhaust air cools tremendously as it goes from the cylinder head to the tail pipe.

You can move same amount of air from the headpipe flange through a smaller tailpipe end diameter because the cooler exhaust air gets more dense and takes up less space.

different exhaust velocities will should change the diameter difference though.

I don’t believe so from the factory.

IIRC they get smaller after the mufflers. Look at the OD of a factory tip.

Yes, from the factory...2 1/4" ALL the way! I have a 1969 magazine article listing the specs for the 5 cars in Plymouth's 1970 Rapid Transit System.

that’s advertising

i have the original tail pipes from my 68 340 Barracuda they are smaller than 2 1/4”

the tips are 1 7/8 diameter [WANTED] - NOS 1970 Chrome exhaust tips 3466066

I would certainly think there would be difference from a 1968 Barracuda and the "high performance" 1970 Duster 340 included in the Rapid Transit System along with the GTX, RR, 'Cuda, and Sport Fury GT. The 2 1/4" all the way back was STANDARD equipment for the 1970 Duster 340.

I would certainly think there would be difference from a 1968 Barracuda and the "high performance" 1970 Duster 340 included in the Rapid Transit System along with the GTX, RR, 'Cuda, and Sport Fury GT. The 2 1/4" all the way back was STANDARD equipment for the 1970 Duster 340.

My Barracuda is an original 340 Formula S car. It is High Performance.

I don’t see anywhere in the RTS ads that say full 2 1/4” exhaust

Accurate LTD offers 2 1/2” , 2 1/4” and 1 7/8” tailpipe outlets. They don’t say which is OE.

Last edited:
The exhaust necks down a lot off the manifold on the left side. It is not 2.25 all the way. The factory exhaust tips are 1 7/8 I believe.

The exhaust necks down a lot off the manifold on the left side. It is not 2.25 all the way. The factory exhaust tips are 1 7/8 I believe.

Yes, there are bends and compressions, but still 2 1/4" pipe stock.
Yes, the tips you mentioned are correct. However, V24x2's original question was for the '70 Duster 340 and the chrome exhaust tips were not an option for that specific car.

I think.....stock 340 drivers' side headpipe is 2" and flattened where it passes the torsion bar.All else is 2 1/4" to the mufflers. Mufflers to the tailpipe is 1 7/8" and stock tips are 1 5/8 ID which slip fits inside the tailpipe 1 7/8" OD.

the drivers' side is a separate 2" head pipe. 1 5/8" id stock tips slip fit inside the 1 7/8" od tail pipes

s-l1600.jpg

-
Back