1970 Duster Elephant ears. Where to mount alternator.

-

Duster440-319

Reaction score
I have a 440 motor that has the old elephant ear mounts. I need to mount the alternator and was wondering where guys have done this prior to this thread. I'm not a machinist so any insight would be greatly appreciated. Post some photos of what you have if you got aome. Thanks.

1000001101.jpg

20240123_174440.jpg

20240123_174505.jpg

20240123_174428.jpg

20240123_174438.jpg

Im a hack.... but changed to drivers side to not share AC belt.

If anything, just some ideas.

20201207_083017.jpg

20201207_120331.jpg

20201207_095430.jpg

20201220_221653.jpg

Depending what alternator you want to run, AR Engineering has mounts for motor plates, and low mount kits that could clear your plates.
Alternator Kits | AR Engineering
I checked them out. They do have a variety of options but it doesn't appear they have one I could use. I will send them an email just to see if they can envision something I'm missing. Thanks.

I like that setup. But unfortunately these ear mounts I have take up a lot of room.
OR...... they are good base to mount a couple of brackets off of.

Those will be where they are.... no changing that.

Float the alt. where you want it and start splicing and dicing a pivot point, then figure out the tensioner aspect and blammo! VEE have power!!!

EDIT: the tough part might be pulley alignment after.

Last edited:
Mount it down low on passenger side.

Where the AC compressor would go with a buchillion setup.

In the pics i posted you can see it.

EDIT : sleeping at the light. Nice hole shot @33IMP

I have a 440 motor that has the old elephant ear mounts. I need to mount the alternator and was wondering where guys have done this prior to this thread. I'm not a machinist so any insight would be greatly appreciated. Post some photos of what you have if you got aome. Thanks.

View attachment 1716196931

View attachment 1716196932

View attachment 1716196933

View attachment 1716196934

View attachment 1716196935
Old Mopar alternators are tough to mount on a motor plate since they are heavy and the mounting points aren't designed for plate mounting. Your job will be easier if you spend some time in a wrecking yard looking for a modern alternator that is small, lightweight and designed to mounted to a block or frame. Don't limit yourself to cars, sometimes tractor alternators will work or even stuff from construction equipment.

Old Mopar alternators are tough to mount on a motor plate since they are heavy and the mounting points aren't designed for plate mounting. Your job will be easier if you spend some time in a wrecking yard looking for a modern alternator that is small, lightweight and designed to mounted to a block or frame. Don't limit yourself to cars, sometimes tractor alternators will work or even stuff from construction equipment.
I thought about just buying a new alternator but from what I'm seeing for alternator mounts is guys going to a 1 wire alternator system.

Okay. I don't know how much you can see, but.....
This is a 5/16-coarse tapped hole in the bottom edge of the passenger ear, a brace with spacers to ears on the water pump to solidify the mount, (guarantee this won't work without the triangular brace), spacer between the alternator and ear for pulley alignment, modified adjustment arm also off the water pump( can't get a decent shot of that, splash pan in the way.) and a locknut on the 5" (roughly, from memory) bolt on the backside of the ear.
I made the elephant ears, and brackets and spacers. Mocked up and constructed on an engine on a stand.

20240125_134752.jpg

20240125_134903.jpg

Last edited:
Just noticed, probably won't work for o.p. I have a driver's side inlet water pump (aluminum 440 source) so the lower radiator hose is on the other side, out of the way..

Mine is mounted on the passenger side with the factory brackets. No A/C or power steering.

-
Back