1970 duster with seized bearing on spindle - revisited

-

maldridgeks

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Following my original post, linked here: Any idea where I can find a spindle for my 1970 plymouth duster, where I was seeking advice on where to locate a new knuckle/spindle for my 70 duster, I have managed to get the seized bearing off and now can better assess the spindle. Indeed there is a slight lip that was created. Have a couple follow up questions for everyone.

1. Given the spindle has the slight lip, I assume it must either be turned at a machine shop or replaced. Others concur or is there anything else I can try at home?

2. With the rotor off I now have access to the number that is stamped on the damaged knuckle. That number is 2835970. Does anyone know how I can cross reference that number so I can better determine what cars may provide a comparable replacement? Per the advice given on my initial thread above I did post in the parts wanted forum, link here: [WANTED] - Knuckle/Spindle for 1970 Duster with 10" drums. Need front right only. where several members have offered to sell me knuckles from various cars that are similar in year/make/model but it is tough to tell if they will work.

Thank you everyone. I sure appreciate this site and everyone's willingness to help.

Here's what worked for me, for many years, on a DD that once had a spun outer bearing;
New bearing,
Filed off the lip which was just damage from spinning
installed the packed drum,
Cleaned the spindle and ID of the packed bearing
Applied Loc-tite, Stud and Bearing Mount,
Torqued it up on the tight side.
Drove it for more years than I can remember.

Here's what worked for me, for many years, on a DD that once had a spun outer bearing;
New bearing,
Filed off the lip which was just damage from spinning
installed the packed drum,
Cleaned the spindle and ID of the packed bearing
Applied Loc-tite, Stud and Bearing Mount,
Torqued it up on the tight side.
Drove it for more years than I can remember.
Yup, I have done exactly the same thing with no problem. Just be sure you clean up the damaged area thoroughly.

Without a picture of the damage to YOUR spindle, saying what will or won’t work is just wild *** guessing.

No doubt some spindles with spun bearings can be salvaged, but there is also no doubt that some can’t be saved.

If the spindle got hot that it was blued I wouldn't trust it. A good clean spindle is $75 shipped with spindle hardware. I am sure either Todd or I have what you need. I can check if your want.

The tapered area where the arrows are pointing is not where the bearings ride. Polish the surfaces in front of and behind that area with very fine crocus cloth and you will be good to go. Trial fit the bearings before installing them in the hub to make sure they don't drag and/or have any rough spots.

Apologies - this is the correct pic where the damage can be seen. I have a new bearing coming this week and will do a test fit but still wanted to solicit your thoughts about whether I need to find a new spindle too.

spindle 2.jpg

If it was me I'd replace the spindle as the threads look stripped out... That's a lot more concerning than simply using crocus cloth or filing away bearing seat damage.

Apologies - this is the correct pic where the damage can be seen. I have a new bearing coming this week and will do a test fit but still wanted to solicit your thoughts about whether I need to find a new spindle too.

View attachment 1716312709

If the spindle got hot that it was blued I wouldn't trust it. A good clean spindle is $75 shipped with spindle hardware. I am sure either Todd or I have what you need. I can check if your want.
Hi. If you can check I would appreciate it. Earlier in the post I included the part # that is stamped into the spindle on the car now.

-
Back