1971 bucket seats ???

-

Oldmanmopar

Going left turning right
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Well I learned something today. I have been saving 1971 bucket seats for a long while. I only sold seats that were ripped. I got nine seats down to pick out a set for for a Duster I have. I have come to find that there are two different styles. There are early seats which have the 70 frames, buttons and backs. And late which have 72 frames, buttons and buttons.

I never noticed this over the years while stripping these cars. I would just pull the seats and put them upstairs. The seats I have were never covered they are original seats from the 70's. and yes they do have different frames and different backs but the same 71 silver and black vinyl covers. The one seat still had the build sheet in it . VL29C1 it had 72 frame and back plastic. Go figure. At least I have five 70/71's to choose from for the Demon.

Can anyone put some light on this. They were not recovered. That is for sure. I have them for a very very long time. Some that were taken out new from race car builds. I have four, Three pass and one driver. That are 72 frames.

so I must have sold two drivers that had small damage over the years.

Also have a box of hinge covers. Some 71 hinge covers that the button spring is riveted on and some that a large 1/2 13 nut holds the button on. And seat track cable under seat some have a tension-er and some do not

age 62 and still learning things on these cars.

There was a mid year changeover sometime in 71 to the short button (72) style. Also, some of the 70-early 71 long buttons are plastic & others are metal. I think the metal buttons are riveted/swedged & the plastic ones are screwed on...

Thanks, I never noticed over the years. It was while I was cleaning two up that I saw one with a chrome button. and then when I went to change the backs I notice the rivet difference on the black button style. 71 is a strange year, Many mid year changes to things that make the parts hard to find on all A-body and B-body cars. I have three 71 B-bodies. Two Roadrunners and a Satellite and all ready found a different count of headliner bows.

-
Back