1971 Demon from France

-

French demon

Reaction score
Hi guys

I'm 57 y.o, from France and I hope that you will excuse me for my primitive english.

In the 90's, I was a Mopar guy with a 340 'Cuda (in fact an european model : a 340 Barracuda BH23H coupé, assembled in Rotterdam Chrysler International plant, Netherlands).
Now, it's history and I'm on the process to purchase a 1971 Dodge Demon.
It's an european model too, but beginning in 1971, Chrysler cars weren't assembled in Netherlands anymore and came from Hamtramck plant.
So, this Demon has been imported brand new in Belgium in 1971, and is now in France since 2015.
It's a 198ci slant-six, 3 speed on the floor, bucket seats and front disk brakes. Odometer in Km/h.
B2 light blue metallic, black vinyl roof, inside woodgrain trim, no A/C.
It has 67000 kms, in a very good shape and is totally stock (except the engine which has been painted in silver color).

What do you think about this survivor?

François

001.JPG
003.jpg
004.jpg
Gauche.jpg
Moteur.jpg
Arrière.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice and welcome! Your English is better than my French would be.

Any story behind your car? Is it restored? With only 67k km, it must have been stored for a while. Nice colour too!

There’s a member (Marvin??) from Austria that knows a lot about the Mopars built for the European market who will see this soon.

Very nice and welcome! Your English is better than my French would be.

Any story behind your car? Is it restored? With only 67k km, it must have been stored for a while. Nice colour too!

There’s a member (Marvin??) from Austria that knows a lot about the Mopars built for the European market who will see this soon.

Hello
Here's an interesting link about the Chrysler International plant in Rotterdam :

Chrysler Rotterdam Assembly Plant

According the seller, this Demon has never been restored. There is some surface rust to remove into the trunk. Not a big deal, but has to be done.

rouille coffre.jpg

Yes, oddly missing all emblems and stickers. Only the right front fender pentastar is present.

There was a bit of an uproar here in the States when the Demon came out. People were thinking it had something Satonic about it with the Demon name.

Maybe they left it bare for export to avoid the confrontations abroad.

Looks nice debadged anyway . . .

Welcome!

Your English is actually a lot better than most people's English so no worries!

Welcome from Texas also!
I used to work for Airbus and I have a very good friend who lives near Marignane.
Your Demon is very nice, good luck with your efforts!

Congratulations to Your Demon - we talked about it yet in another thread.

Only one pentastar is correct.
No other emblems is strange, but if there are no holes, and the car was never painted, than there were no badges -

We have actualy 3 Hamtramck Export A Bodies - all with emblems.

In europe, at least in Austria, Switzerland and Germany in 1971 emblems were mandatory - each car has to be identified .
I presume the Demon was painted once.

Did You change the vinyl roof or paint it ?

There was a bit of an uproar here in the States when the Demon came out. People were thinking it had something Satonic about it with the Demon name.

Maybe they left it bare for export to avoid the confrontations abroad.

Looks nice debadged anyway . . .

No, there were no confrontations about the name - in Switzerland they even build Demons with all emblems and proud advertising of the name.

Only one pentastar is correct.
No other emblems is strange, but if there are no holes, and the car was never painted, than there were no badges -

Did You change the vinyl roof or paint it ?

Hello Marvin,

In 1971, Demon emblems (on the front fenders and trunk) were decals, not badges. So, no need for holes.
In 1972, the emblems were metallic badges and pinned through holes.
But yes, my car has been repainted by a precedent owner. So, it's impossible to tell if my car had the Demon emblems when it was new.

About the vinyl roof, yes it was originally black, but I "plastidipped" it in white.
I really love white vinyl tops...

Plasti Dip® - PLASTI DIP®

Francois

Hello Marvin,

In 1971, Demon emblems (on the front fenders and trunk) were decals, not badges. So, no need for holes.
In 1972, the emblems were metallic badges and pinned through holes.
But yes, my car has been repainted by a precedent owner. So, it's impossible to tell if my car had the Demon emblems when it was new.

About the vinyl roof, yes it was originally black, but I "plastidipped" it in white.
I really love white vinyl tops...

Plasti Dip® - PLASTI DIP®

Francois
I know, but the DODGE emblems were no decals

About the DODGE emblem, it's a generic/modern adhesive one, found on internet for a fistful of peanuts (original ones are high priced)
There were no holes into the trunk lid when I purchased the car (nor into the front hood).
So, maybe the holes have been plugged by a precedent owner before the new paint job, or the car never had any DODGE emblem.

Hood badge.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice car you have there.
Welcome aboard!

-
Back