1971 Dodge Dart Swinger “Special”

-

dartman59

Reaction score
Hi folks. I have a 1971 Swinger “Special” 2-dr hardtop. It came with a 225 /6 and three speed manual (column shift) transmission. Bench seat in front. I’ve long since installed a 408 stroker V8, four speed floor shifted transmission, bucket seats, suspension, brakes, etc. etc. I’ve often wondered what came with the “special” option package. I’ve lost my broadcast sheet. Can anyone school me on what came with the package? I’m enclosing a pic of the original fender badging. It also has “DART” attached to the rear quarters just below the rear windows. Thanks for any help!

IMG_1061.jpeg

Hi folks. I have a 1971 Swinger “Special” 2-dr hardtop. It came with a 225 /6 and three speed manual (column shift) transmission. Bench seat in front. I’ve long since installed a 408 stroker V8, four speed floor shifted transmission, bucket seats, suspension, brakes, etc. etc. I’ve often wondered what came with the “special” option package. I’ve lost my broadcast sheet. Can anyone school me on what came with the package? I’m enclosing a pic of the original fender badging. It also has “DART” attached to the rear quarters just below the rear windows. Thanks for any help!

View attachment 1716258864

I always thought the 1971 Swinger Special was a 340 based platform built in Canada only.

Anyone got anything different?

Canada's Well Kept Secret: The 1971 & 1972 Dodge Dart Swinger 340 Special - Mopar Connection Magazine | A comprehensive daily resource for Mopar enthusiast news, features and the latest Mopar tech

Post the fender tag info, the "special" package will be an A code like A61 or A78...

The Swinger Special is the lowest line Swinger you could order.
The Canadian 340 cars were based on these low line cars and didn't have any frills really.
Most came with standard engines and rubber floor mats for starters.
They ran until the end of Dart production in 1976.
I have a '76 Dart Swinger special and it is basic such as rubber floor mats, a 225 slant 6, an automatic transmission, and that's it...

I thoght the Canadian 340 cars were called "Swinger Special 340".

Not just Swinger Special.

So… it was so basic that it was special—I love it! It certainly wasn’t a 340 car! But now that I think of it, it may have been built in Canada. I’ll post a pic of the fender tag later today. Thanks, guys.

So… it was so basic that it was special—I love it! It certainly wasn’t a 340 car! But now that I think of it, it may have been built in Canada. I’ll post a pic of the fender tag later today. Thanks, guys.
If it has an 'R' in the seventh position of the vin it was built in Windsor Ontario.

My mom had a 71 buick lesabre custom.

"custom" was the lowest, most basic trim level.

...not even anywhere near being "custom".

You called it, Missing Linc. A big “R” in the seventh position of the VIN. And that’s a fairly sparse fender tag. I think I used to know what all the codes meant, but I’m getting old…

IMG_1063.jpeg

IMG_1064.jpeg

It helps make the owner to feel ´special’ for owning a base model car! Everyone gets a ribbon!

My be in the running for "lowest options on tag".

Not all options were on the tag, though.

-
Back