1971 Dodge Dart Swinger 340 header question

-

steveb

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am new here, so please bear with me.
I have a 1971 dodge dart swinger with a 340 and need some help trying to figure out what kind of headers I can put on that will clear my steering linkage and not have to do any modifications and do I go with long tube of shorties?

Welcome to the site!

And for best clearance stock manifolds are the way to go, but they restrict power. I have a 73 dart swinger and I just bought a set of dougs longtubes for it, pricey but from what I've read they fit nicely and don't sit low to the ground.

I've heard that some people have issues clearing the steering linkage with dougs, but I can't vouch for the accuracy of that claim because I haven't installed them yet. It may have something to do with old motor mounts that have sagged down a tad, not sure though.

You could go with a cheaper set of headers, but they will sit low and hit other things. Putting in headers is always a pain, but they are worth it once they are in!

Doug's or TTI's.

I have Doug's. If you have a manual trans you'll need to modify the Z-bar and check your bell housing for clearance. My cast Iron bell hit the headers where there is some cast ears on the sides. Otherwise nice headers and no leaks.

Yeah!! Power!!
I used the TTI headers. They did interfere with the power steering box a little so I had to dent them. Just a bit in two places. They were close in other areas, too. They are too close to the 7 quart low profile oil pan which I would not necessarly recommend either.
Previously I had Hooker headers and they interfered some .
Hope you find something that fits correctly.

I have first hand knowledge here.

I have a 71 dart swinger race car that has not been hacked up or anything in the front. everything is factory as far as the suspension and steering. I have the Dougs on my car and they fit like a glove. they do not hit anything, and they do not restrict anything. They even clear my Milodon 7 qt low profile oil pan.

I have to buy another set of headers for my Duster street car, and it will be Dougs without a doubt.

they also do not hang below the steering and drag the ground like some. they stay above the steering linkage.

hope this helps. Get the Dougs and you will be pleased.

Tti-not again.70 duster,power steering,4-speed,7qt.moroso pan on a 340.bought tti340a-c5 coated headers from Mancini 710.00 show price at Norwalk.the fit flat sucks if I have to distort them to fit and the still hit . How much are Doug's?cause I'm gonna use them on a 71 manual steering-automatic instead.what a waste of cash.but hey ,they look real pretty guess that's what counts the most,because they won't stand behind them after the sale.even when they only come with 1 gasket and 6 bolts in a sealed box

Tti-not again.70 duster,power steering,4-speed,7qt.moroso pan on a 340.bought tti340a-c5 coated headers from Mancini 710.00 show price at Norwalk.the fit flat sucks if I have to distort them to fit and the still hit . How much are Doug's?cause I'm gonna use them on a 71 manual steering-automatic instead.what a waste of cash.but hey ,they look real pretty guess that's what counts the most,because they won't stand behind them after the sale.even when they only come with 1 gasket and 6 bolts in a sealed box

I bought the Dougs on my race car about a year ago. I think they were in Jegs for $610. I got them for $530 because I get my buddy to order my parts for me. he won a IHRA Stock Eliminator championship a few years back, and gets a discount on all parts from Jegs. most are not discounted that much. Doug must really be proud of him for that championship, lol!

I still would have paid the $610 for them if I had to. they are great.

they flow good as well. they are 1 5/8'' tubes and my dart still goes low 6.80's with a iron head 408.

F.A.S.T. class, stock manifolds.

you know better. they may appear that way, but you can bet most of those manifolds have had an acid bath in the ports among other things.

still impressive though

The engine must be in the proper location.

I've had both dougs and tti headers hit stuff, but, it was because the engine wasn't int he correct spot. Some shims and moving the engine around and they all fit ok.

The Z bar is a PIA with both brand headers. Evey one I've worked on need some fab work to get installed. SOme have said they got the z bar in with no changes, never been that lucky.

Dougs are nice headers and if you find the 20-25% off at autozone you can get coated ones for under $500 delivered in the US. Unless I get a smoking deal on a set of tti's I buy Dougs every time.

-
Back