1971 EV2 Dodge Demon "Sizzler"

-
Dartnut thats good advise right there. Me personally bore it or sleeve it and then stroke it..

Well, I get a bit of motion ( maybe a degree ) when I try to move it by hand. I need to pick up a crankshaft balancer bolt socket and see what I can accomplish with a breaker bar. Keep putting PB Blaster in those cylinders, and just work it baby!

When I took the tranny off, I found this...

Attachments

• Torque Converter 1.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 636
  • TOrque Converter 2.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 672
Sounds like your getting somewhere! Patience is the key. Dont work the crank back and forth too much,about 1/4 to 1/2 inch is all you need until you get it really free.

Good luck!

Anybody know what the TQ being painted Orange means? Is there a significance to that, and the 276 that is written on it?

Just wondering

The 318 is free! I was able to get it to rotate about 90 degrees :D This weekend, I'm gonna try getting the crank, rods and pistons out, and get the block to a machine shop to see if it can be saved.

j

The 318 is free! I was able to get it to rotate about 90 degrees :D This weekend, I'm gonna try getting the crank, rods and pistons out, and get the block to a machine shop to see if it can be saved.

j

Best of luck! How do the bores look?

That's going to be one cool project !:snakeman:

I found this original ad for the 1971 Demon Sizzler ( see attachment ... ) , and am wondering if your Demon had a body coloured grill treatment like the one in this ad ?

I have no idea what its sales code would be ( probably something with "V" in it ... maybe "V7V2" ? ) .
Well , even if it didn't come that way originally , it'd be a cool addition :happy10: .

btw , how about slammin' a two Bbl 360 in there , painted the correct blue , with a semi-gloss black air cleaner ? It'd look stock , but have some power to it 8) !

Anyhow , on to the ad ...

Attachments

• 32214050533_large.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 572
That's going to be one cool project !:snakeman:

I found this original ad for the 1971 Demon Sizzler ( see attachment ... ) , and am wondering if your Demon had a body coloured grill treatment like the one in this ad ?

I have no idea what its sales code would be ( probably something with "V" in it ... maybe "V7V2" ? ) .
Well , even if it didn't come that way originally , it'd be a cool addition :happy10: .

btw , how about slammin' a two Bbl 360 in there , painted the correct blue , with a semi-gloss black air cleaner ? It'd look stock , but have some power to it :cool: !

Anyhow , on to the ad ...

Attachments

• 2493672_9_full.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 554
Please delete my prior post ( #34 ) with its incorrect attachment ; the one with the '71 Hornet SC / 360 ... I clicked on the wrong damned pic , and now I cannot delete the post myself ARRGGGGGG !!!

HAHAHA!
needsaresto said:
Best of luck! How do the bores look?
Bores look good except for the number eight cylinder with the rust. I am going to work it tomorrow and try and get the pistons and crank out. Hopefully I can get it done in time to get to the machine shop while he is still open.
LH23H2R said:
It sure does :D I don't know what the option code is, or if it is called out on the fender tag, but it has a body colored grill now.
btw , how about slammin' a two Bbl 360 in there , painted the correct blue , with a semi-gloss black air cleaner ? It'd look stock , but have some power to it :cool: !
Since the 318 is free now, I am leaning toward a resto as opposed to a restification. I have the Duster that will be my Big Block car, and I haven't sold the Dart yet, so THAT could be my fast Small Block car...

If the 318 can be used, I'm going to stick with the 318. If it can't, it goes in a trash bag to the corner of the garage where it will sit till I need to sell the car, and go with it. I can use either the 318 from my truck, or the 340 from the Duster, or the 360 in FRONT of the Duster ;) I will have a firm plan once I find out what can be done with the 318 block.

I ALSO like the idea of stroking a 318 for it too.....:D
j

Posting with my Android cause my modem crapped out and Frontier has to send me a new one.

Anyway, I got the pistons out of the block. Took a lot of beating on a pickle fork to get the rusted one out. I now need a new one :D. So...it looks like I will be able to save the block after all. Considering bagging it up the block and stroking the extra 318 I have :D. Will probably order a Turbo Action tranny and converter. Should I go nut and bolt resto? I may just get the block vatted, cylinders cleaned up, new frees plugs in and make a decision.

SO...Tranny, suspension,exhaust ( headers and 2.25" pipes w/flo masters ) and if I have enough left over, block prep. This fall, motor built and maybe some interior work.

NEXT summer the car should be road worthy.

I wonder how much the wheel well will be to repair?

Rambling again.

Will post pix when my internets are back up next week some time.

j

OK, so I cheated and am using my Android connected to my laptop for Internets :D

A couple pix...

Attachments

• Bad Cylinder.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 549
  • Bad Cylinder 2.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 513
  • Crank Journals.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 503
Cool. You got the piston out without too much heartache !

Cant wait to see this thing come together !

-RPM

I am thinking of cleaning up the bock and putting it away for a future full resto. I have an extra 318, as well as the 340 and 360 sitting around, I MIGHT just put one of those in and have fun with the car for a while while I do other stuff to get it restored. Doing a RESTO, I'd love to find what it came with from the factory. Is there any way to get a hold of build sheets? I've never wanted to restore a car I had before, so, this is kinda new to me.

j

Shoot me a p.m. of all the tag numbers as the list across left to right
I had them and cant find it now.
That will prob be the best way to reveal what all the car had.

-RPM

Found this on the interwebs :D

LL29:
Dodge Dart,Demon
Low
2 Door Sports Hardtop

G1B: 318 230HP 1-2BBL 8 CYL
Dodge Main, Hamtramck, MI, USA

******: Sequence number

E44: 318 cid 2 barrel V8 230hp
D31: A904 3-Speed Auto Trans.
EV2: Hemi Orange Exterior Color
M19X: Trim - Opt. Decor Group, Unknown, Unknown Color
TX9: Black Int. Door Frames
505: Build Date: May 05
******: Order number

EV2: Hemi Orange Top Color
U: USA Specifications
A59: Sizzler Package
G11: Tinted Glass (all)
G36: OS Dual Racing Mirrors
H51: Air Conditioning with Heater

M21: Roof drip rail moldings
N95: Emissions Control
R11: Radio Solid State AM (2 Watts)
V21: Performance Hood Treatment
V8X: Tranverse Stripes, Black
V9X: Longitudinal Stripes, Black

EN1: End of Sales Codes

No mention of the wheels, or rear axle :( Should I leave the 8.75 in it, or see if it had an 8.25 rear? Hmm.....

j

Cool! Mine was built Feb 05

LL29:Dodge Dart, Demon
Low
2 Door Sports Hardtop
C1B: 225 145HP 1-1BBL 6 CYL
287665: Sequence number
E24: 225 cid 1 barrel 6 Cylinder 145hp
GY3: Citron Yella Exterior Color
M1XX: Trim - Opt. Decor Group, Unknown, White/Black
5X8: Unknown Int. Door Frames
205: Build Date: February 05
240932: Order number
GY3: Citron Yella Top Color
U: USA Specifications
V8W: Transverse Stripes, White
EN1: End of Sales Codes

I think I will probably just leave the 8.75 in it, since I got a Dana 60 for my Duster, I will have 2 8.75 rears to play with. One for the Demon, one for the Dart...

Anyone in the Seattle area need a 8.25 Dart Sport rear end? I would trade it for a front bumper for my Demon.

j

Thanks for sharing this with us 8)
I've got some additions / corrections to the info that you've received ; these notes will be in bold next to the info you've provided .
Found this on the interwebs :D

LL29:
Dodge Dart,Demon
Low
2 Door Sports Hardtop

G1B: 318 230HP 1-2BBL 8 CYL

******: Sequence number

E44: 318 cid 2 barrel V8 230hp
EV2: Hemi Orange Exterior Color
M19X: Trim - Opt. Decor Group, Unknown, Unknown Color
TX9: Black Int. Door Frames
505: Build Date: May 05
******: Order number

EV2: Hemi Orange Top Color
U: USA Specifications Build to USA safety / emissions standards
G11: Tinted Glass (all)
H51: Air Conditioning with Heater

N95: Emissions Control Cleaner Air Package / California Model
V8X: Tranverse Stripes, Black
V9X: Longitudinal Stripes, Black

EN1: End of Sales Codes EN1 = End of Line 1 @ Hamtramck . This plant was multi-level , and was the only plant to use the "1" or "2" as the last character .

No mention of the wheels, or rear axle :( Should I leave the 8.75 in it, or see if it had an 8.25 rear? Hmm..... Build Sheet would reveal this info perhaps . Wouldn't surprise me to see that the 8.75 was factory-installed ; be thankful you didn't get stiffed with that worthless 7.25" diff !

j
I'm mentioning these corrections / additions , not to bust your chops , but for educational purposes .
Don't get me wrong : I don't "know-it-all" ; quite the opposite : I'm pretty dumb .
However , I'm just passing-along info that I've learned throughout my 40 years :read2:

-
Back