1972 Dart LS swap

-

Licorice72

Reaction score
Hi everyone🤗. I am a new member and so glad that I found you. A little about my project. I have owned this car since I was 9. Built it, drive it, wrecked it, started restoring it about 10 years ago. Got married to my childhood friend and adopted his son, and then we had 2 kids together. So now we are current.

I am restoring my 72 Dodge Dart swinger. But putting an LS engine and finding it difficult with the oil pan. Does anyone know where I can buy the oil pan to fit around the center link?

Welcome to FABO. Use the search function to find other threads about LS swaps here. Just a word of caution, there are many here that don't agree with anything but Mopar in their Mopars. Grow some thick skin and be prepared to get bashed. These guys aren't bad people, just very passionate about Mopars.

Welcome. Look foward to following your build. May want to start a thread in the "members restoration" section.

Be well,
Pat

Along with the others I welcome you, but please let me be the first one to say - ARE YOU CRAZY !!! :wack:
on the other hand I have a friend who did an ls swap in his 72 nova and it's fast as heck.

Well... The oil pan necessary for a big block to fit a Dart considering the suspension clearance is the "187"

However, this is a MOPAR oil pan to fit a 383 or 440...

I cannot speak to anything else...

Good luck

Attachments

• 187.jpg
    6.1 KB · Views: 758
GTO LS oil pan with slight trim on the K member and I heard some Chevy S-10 LS shorty swap headers fit for exhaust,and clear power steering. Go fast and handling is great if your LS is aluminum.

Hi everyone. I know this is a touchy subject and I appreciate the advise, and even the negative comments. I was raised Mopar or No car. I get it guys, why put a chevy in a dodge? I have the same questions, but dollar for dollar, LS engines are way cheaper and with a little work, they can keep up with a Stock Hemi. Im not looking for a permanent fix, I will be looking for a sweet deal on a newer Hemi engine and how my husband and I are installing the LS, there are no cuts, no welding. It will be nice and classy.

I found that I needed a front sump oil pan in order to clear the steering bar. I got one ordered and hopefully it fits without a hitch.

I have had this car since I was 9. My dad and I built it and I drove it. Of course, I wrecked it as well. My heart was broken. 10 years ago I began to rebuild. I have a lot of heart and blood and time in this car. I wont do anything to jeopardize the MOPAR name and the integrity of the car. I have respect for others opinions, please have respect for what I am doing.

Thank you again. I will post pictures

GTO LS oil pan with slight trim on the K member and I heard some Chevy S-10 LS shorty swap headers fit for exhaust,and clear power steering. Go fast and handling is great if your LS is aluminum.

I like this, I will let my husband know. Thank you

I remember something about a ***** on a chicken.
I'm pretty sure they have a oil pan for a modern hemi swap..........

Funny, Just have to say I dont have *****, I am a woman.

Have positive thoughts and positive actions will follow. Have a fantastic day! And thank you for the advice.:D

If you are going LS I hope you turbo it!

At this time no, but its an option. I still want to go back to Hemi, but looking for a sweet deal. I am itching to drive my car after 10 years of rebuilding her.

Its always an option and I am keeping an eye out for the turbos...

:burnout:

Welcome aboard. I think builds like this are great. It is what hot rodding is all about.

And it's funny, the Chevy forums welcome stuff like this. Doesn't bother them a bit to see a Mopar with a Chevy engine. Mopar guys are snobs.

Welcome aboard. I think builds like this are great. It is what hot rodding is all about.

And it's funny, the Chevy forums welcome stuff like this. Doesn't bother them a bit to see a Mopar with a Chevy engine. Mopar guys are snobs.

I wouldn't personally do this, but have no problem with someone else doing this. It is their car to do whatever they want with it. I will however 100% garrantee that if you went on a Classic Camaro/Firebird forum and said you wanted to do a Hemi swap into one, you would get pretty much the same responses. A majority of the comments would be negative, a few would "tolerate" it, and couple would actually try and give useful advise to help you out.

Thank you. We ended up buying an oil pan with front sump, beautiful actually. And fits perfect. Also we have had a tranny mount and motor mounts brackets custom built.

After they are finished I will post pictures. Im super excited how its all coming together nicely!

Thank you for the link! Its much appreciated!

so your husband actually grabbed a cutting torch, and a welder and made an existing unit to work ?

that is pretty cool (actually, it seems that is more skilled then the work the good people at milodon care to put out)

would love to see some pics of this abomination ;)

(on a side note, your screen name, wouldn't happen to refer to black licorice would it? the kind that makes little children cry, I love that stuff)

Welcome to the site! Hope you find what youre looking for! Not my type of build, but I wish you luck! I wish I could've done an LS conversion in my 77 Chevy truck that would've been pretty neat.

The LS is a great engine but when I see one in a really nice Mopar at a car show, I take a quick glance and say, "..oh" and just walk away. LOL. Mainly only because it's not what I'm looking for..I'm looking for ideas on how to build my car;)

I will keep an eye on this thread though! Cheers mate!

Firstly welcome.

I've seen you say at least twice you are looking for a Hemi to put in. This seems like a ton of work and expense to go through just to undo it all later. Buy once cry once is what I live by.

Have a great day and good luck with your car.

I am curious though as to which transmission you folks are gonna use? Most everything will require you to cut up some amount of the flooring and removal of the torsion bar cross member center. Although there is a VERY good write up on a Dart or Duster using a built 2004R gm tranny. It seemed to only need trimming of the crossmember and no floor cutting. With your swap,perhaps if you trimmed the K member or the oil pan and moved the engine forward,you could end up in a narrower area of the tranny and not have to cut the crossmember??? Dunno,thinkin out loud. I've done many swaps and cross-breed swaps that worked out well. Just put alot of thought to it,then if you want to go back to a mopar power plant,nobody could tell a difference. Including the snobby ones.:prayer: Its just Hot Rodding. Car people been doin it since the Model A.

-
Back