1972 Demon (383 Big Block)

-
Reaction score
just hate the way this car handles at high speeds in the stireering. Was told this is what to expect with the Armstrong that is in it, standard strireering. Understand that I am no mechanic and know very little but sure would love to make this car handle better so that a 4 cyclinder will not take me over on higher speeds.

have been told on several occations that there is a new type of front suspension that can be purchased, which is just a bolt on for a 72 Demon, Duster.

Help, where is the best place to purchase and is this correct?

Kevin, Halifax Nova Scotia, Canada
902 802 4131

Also down the road, I currently have a 727 transmission with a B&M shifter, not much good once you hit 100 or so, reve's real high. Which is better, a tremec auto with over drive or a standard 4 speed?

Where is the best place to sorce either of these also?

A simpler and far less expensive alternative is to go with a bigger torsion bar. Most of your body roll is because your A body is nose heavy from the big block.

Heres what I would do;you dont have to do all of it.
Relocate the battery to the trunk.It'd 60 lb's or so off the front end and will help the weight transfer when launching the car.

Buy and install a fibreglass front bumper. This is probably another 30-40 lb's. Remember,the less weight the spring is supporting the better. It will act like a stiffer spring.

Buy and install a 1" torsion bar from just suspension at ebay.Thier only $199/pair right now.

Install KYB gasadjust shocks all the way around. These alone will stiffen up the handling lots.

Re-arc or add a leaf to the rear springs.

Front and rear sway bars.Aaddco or other.

Make sure the rest of your front end isnt worn out. Rebuild it,get an alignment

Talk to these guys.Look at thier websight for some idea's.
http://www.firmfeel.com/a.htm

The rielly motorsports stuff is great,but it aint cheap. There's a ton of other solutions that will work great and cost less.

As far as the trans,I'd go with a gearvendors overdrive unit. It's about the simplest swap.

A 383 weighs less than 100 lbs more than an LA small block.
I think larger torsion bars and moving your battery to the trunk will solve your handling problems.
What kind of wheels are you running?
Is a fiberglass hood in your budget?
How about putting in a late model model aluminum master cylinder?
Every little bit helps.

A simpler and far less expensive alternative is to go with a bigger torsion bar. Most of your body roll is because your A body is nose heavy from the big block.

Heres what I would do;you dont have to do all of it.
Relocate the battery to the trunk.It'd 60 lb's or so off the front end and will help the weight transfer when launching the car.

Buy and install a fibreglass front bumper. This is probably another 30-40 lb's. Remember,the less weight the spring is supporting the better. It will act like a stiffer spring.

Buy and install a 1" torsion bar from just suspension at ebay.Thier only $199/pair right now.

Install KYB gasadjust shocks all the way around. These alone will stiffen up the handling lots.

Re-arc or add a leaf to the rear springs.

Front and rear sway bars.Aaddco or other.

Make sure the rest of your front end isnt worn out. Rebuild it,get an alignment

what is the gearvendor and where can I get information and pricing?

-
Back