1972 Dodge Colt

-

Hyper_pak

Old School Chrysler Fan
Reaction score
I just purchased this car off the interweb. If you google 1972 Dodge Hemi Colt you will find links for it for a few years. It started out for 32K, then 26K, then 16 on epay and I got it off racingjunk after I made the seller an offer. This is an original Don Hardy built Colt. Hardy built funny cars and many Pro Stock cars in the 60's thru the 80's. He built Glidden's Arrow. This is the 3 Colt I have had, all with the thought of drag racing my slant. So instead of a 426 Hemi, it will be a slant with 3 Weber side draft carbs. Starting with an 833 but plan on a Lenco when the wife wins the Lottery. Double chrome moly frame, pinto front end, mid plate, 5.0 Dana 60, Koni shocks, Wheelie Bars, Weld Dragstars, Fiberglass front end, Solar racing seat, all aluminum interior, etc. It had the hood stolen on the truck coming from Portland to Dallas but I didn't want the scoop anyway and I got 1/2 off the delivery to buy a new hood. Going through the front brakes now, next is the rear. Need to mock up the engine and trans, then fit the headers and Webers. I still have my 232 that ran thirteens in my 3000 pound 67 barracuda, so that will be the start. First picture is when it was green in the late 70's.
Don Patrick.JPG
IMG_0021.JPG
IMG_0031.JPG

That's cool. I always wanted a Arrow for the street. (a old race car with plates and lights)

Daing, aint a like button big enough for that! How much does this thing weigh in at?

Haven't weighed it yet, but my son and I can pick up the front end with ease. I am going to say 1500-1700 less engine and transmission. I will weigh it soon.

Haven't weighed it yet, but my son and I can pick up the front end with ease. I am going to say 1500-1700 less engine and transmission. I will weigh it soon.

My old vega was a Don Hardy/east texas race car, early prostock advertisement car. I saw it at the tulsa dragstrip back when I was racing my hemi car. They had it on display ---
Little did I ever dream I`d own it back then .
Was pretty well built , in fact I wish I still had it !

Did this car come out of the Portland Oregon/Vancouver Washington area? Pretty sure I know that car. But I haven't seen that thing since probably 1988 or so.

No wonder these things were classified as widow makers. I would love to see more pics of the build and assembly, I noticed it didn't have the windshield notched for clearance like a lot of the other ones did.

My ex mother in law had a Fire Arrow, quick little car!
My brother has a Fire Arrow.
It's a '79 with a 2.6 and a 5 speed and 4 wheel disc brakes.
Pretty cool for the day, and still cool today.
That car is a blast to drive..........

My brother has a Fire Arrow.
It's a '79 with a 2.6 and a 5 speed and 4 wheel disc brakes.
Pretty cool for the day, and still cool today.
That car is a blast to drive..........
I missed it when she traded it in, not her so much when I divorced her daughter

I assume you will be going to Ennis or Ferris when you get it ready...be sure and let us know I would love to see it in person

YES It did, please tell us what you remember about it!!!!!

IIRC, a guy named Bob Cope owned that car. I remember it had a Hemi and a Rat Roaster intake on it.

I'll make some phone calls and see if I can dig up some details. Bob was a helluva nice guy. But I jobs engine seen him since the early 1990's.

No wonder these things were classified as widow makers. I would love to see more pics of the build and assembly, I noticed it didn't have the windshield notched for clearance like a lot of the other ones did.

I will be sharing more as I fit the slant and the Lakewood Bell. I love that all the stock GLASS in in it, no Lexan or Plexiglass. And the rubber, trim is like new. It is notched right to the windshield, but not into the glass.

So in the first post I talked about the other Colts. This Orange one, I traded a 68 Formula S Parts car for. I had it cut up and ready to build the frame for. I got it in 81 or so. Life and other stuff just got in the way. When I moved from VA to Texas, this little car was in the front of the trailer in a nice neat pile. Well if you read my Lancersaurus thread, you know the trailer and the Lancer and Colt were stolen. I got the trailer and then later the Lancer back. But my little Colt never came back. Then before I got the Lancer back, I went out to Phoenix AZ and bought this little Silver Blue one. And it has been sitting in the garage 7 years, waiting her turn. So now someone else can buy the Silver Blue one and build your dream car! (It's FOR SALE!)
IMG_4722.JPG
Colt.jpg
IMG_0089.JPG

-
Back