1972 duster drive shaft question

-

72dustervs

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I am putting an 8 3/4 rear under a 72 duster an installing 4 spd , will the original drive shaft work ? Or do I need to change the yoke on front ? The car is or supposedly a 340 car but had a 7 1/4 rear but no idea what trnny was in it before as I never had it

Should be 49" C to C. 727 and 833 are the same yoke. But I would check that measurement after the rear and 4 speed are in.

Should be 49" C to C. 727 and 833 are the same yoke. But I would check that measurement after the rear and 4 speed are in.
Thanks , I am unsure what the original tranny was so I will have to check the yoke , thanks for the measurement , that will help

Does 50" sound right ? I have access for one if the seller doesn't back out , that is the size from center to center on end

Center of u-joint cap to center of u joint cap But I wouldn't buy one until you can measure what you need for sure.

I found another I had forgotten about , center to center its 49 1/2 , came out of a 74 challenger , biggest issue is the yoke was off 904 tranny , but I do know they make special u joints to make it work if I use a yoke for 25 spline ,,might get lucky an save money once I figure out the exact measurement

No adapter, you need to find a 727 or 833 yoke.
Yes thats what I meant but they do make a u joint that has the Universal fit premium universal joint combination 1310 and 1350 Spicer. as the drive shaft for the challenger had the smaller u joint with 904 tranny along with small end for rear end yoke , so I will need the u joint that works to adapt this 1310 an 1350 ,,the 25 spline I was thinking was for a 727 or 833 but will get more info about this as I planned on changing the yoke to tranny that is if it works out

It should be 7260 u-joint or small u-joint 315 Precision part number or 7290 or large u-joint 316 Precision part number. a 727 yoke comes either way big or small and is a 29 spline with one wide spline. Output shaft of your trans will have 30 splines.

It should be 7260 u-joint or small u-joint 315 Precision part number or 7290 or large u-joint 316 Precision part number. a 727 yoke comes either way big or small and is a 29 spline with one wide spline. Output shaft of your trans will have 30 splines.
Yes you are correct , I got my search mixed with another and the spline count is the concern thanks

They make this u joint which you are correct on sizes and it is 7260 on one side an 7290 on the other side,,if the length works out I can find proper yoke and use these ,,but long ways off for now

mog-348_eu_xl.jpg

That is the correct adapter u-joint. But if you find the right drive shaft and yoke. You may not need the dual size U-joint.

That is the correct adapter u-joint. But if you find the right drive shaft and yoke. You may not need the dual size U-joint.
Very true but I have this one drive shaft in my hands an is only reason I was thinking of using , but if I find the correct one I will buy if price is right ,or I may have the correct ends welded on drive shaft as there is a place near me that can cut an balance but unsure of cost at the moment , as for now I am waiting on the new rear end to be delivered so I can install , and get better measurements , ordered some ESPO springs as well with shackles , so I am still a ways off to make any definite decisions , but thanks for your input as it been very helpful

-
Back