1973 Scamp 318....Please Suggest Heads

-

My73Scamp

Reaction score
I have a 1973 scamp that is in pretty good shape with a 318. I want to put some 360 heads on it with a performance intake. Can someone please suggest the best heads to put on the car. I don't have thousands to spend and I was thinking of completely rebuilding some heads for this mod.

Thanks In Advance.

:salut:

93 and newer Magnums or re do the 318 heads with a good valve job and some bowl work.

My73Scamp said:
I have a 1973 scamp that is in pretty good shape with a 318. I want to put some 360 heads on it with a performance intake. Can someone please suggest the best heads to put on the car. I don't have thousands to spend and I was thinking of completely rebuilding some heads for this mod.

Thanks In Advance.

:salut:

Casting # 302 heads for the price are great.Thats what I have on my 318.

I added a .430/.450 Mopar Performance cam, an old LD4B intake,
and a 600 cfm Edelbrock carb, and dual exhaust. :) :thumblef:

If you have more money the Magnum heads are nice, but you need to change the lifters,
pushrods,
valvetrain,
valvecovers,
and Intake to use the Magnum heads.That all adds up in price.

cavemanmoron said:

I added a .430/.450 Mopar Performance cam, an old LD4B intake,
and a 600 cfm Edelbrock carb, and dual exhaust. :) :thumblef:

If you have more money the Magnum heads are nice, but you need to change the lifters,
pushrods,
valvetrain,
valvecovers,
and Intake to use the Magnum heads.That all adds up in price.

He took the words outta my mouth. #302s are a pretty good head to use for a budget build 318. They came on MANY 80's 318s. They have been known to crack however, so keep an eye out :thumblef:

I'm actually running 360 J-heads on mine..but i didnt pay anything for the heads themselves. I just put in the money to rebuild em. :)

Thanks Everyone,

This is what we bought for 50 bucks and had them dipped and magnafluxed all good.

Has a 360 with an AAWJ next to it.

It has also the number 2168 and on the side there is a 20.

From your forums I have guessed these to be a set of 360 1980 head.

Are they anything special or just run of the mill?

:)

If memory serves me correctly, those 596 heads have the same specs as the older 915 "J" heads, except they have the air injection holes in them near the spark plug holes. Most, if not all, came with the 1.88 valves.

These have my vote! :thumblef:
These are the TBI heads. And there are tons of them out there and are a great head. I ran them on my 75 valiant 318. Picked up .3 in the quarter over my 188 valve 915 (only change). I believe they are used from 87 to 91 TBI trucks for the 318. They are called 302 as this is the last 3 digits cast into he head.
My opinion!

-
Back