1990 318 rocker arms

-

coyote42

Reaction score
Hi all, I am re assembling a 1990 roller cam 318 from a truck. It is for my 70 Duster. When I took it apart I found some shaft mount rockers replaced. What I have now is some rocker arms have a offset hole in the pivot point of the pushrod and some do not. All pushrods are hollow. What is the correct rocker arm for this engine? I assume the hole is for extra oiling.
Also, how much preload should roller hydraulic lifters have with the pushrod from factory?
Thanks

Rollers oil the pushrods thru the lifters....older engines oil thru an oil passage that runs thru the block, head's and rocker shafts

I understand that for Magnum engines but this is a roller LA 318. It does oil through the head and rocker shafts but also has some rockers with the hole. I think someone added them because it looked random.

I understand that for Magnum engines but this is a roller LA 318. It does oil through the head and rocker shafts but also has some rockers with the hole. I think someone added them because it looked random.
I think somewhere in the later LA engines they actually used pushrod oiling as well.

LA roller engines did not have the hole in the rocker arm cup. The cup was oiled by the hollow pushrod.

25 Ft. lbs. No adjustment possible on Magnum pedestal rockers. You would need adjustable rockers, not factory.

EBD04D25-9658-4D79-8B2F-3971C1B65889.jpeg
Here is one of each that was in my motor. Some with and without holes.
2C1F2E81-C5FE-4D08-BF00-BEBE782FF445.jpeg

91 318 Roller Engine
No holes in the rockers:

20200922_195456.jpg

Earlier LA small block has the oil holes in the rockers:
20200922_195856.jpg

Kind of noticed the roller engine pushrods chewed a little more than the LA engines. May have heavier valve springs to offset the extra mass of the roller lifters so they chew a little more.

Maybe the OP's roller engine had a few rockers that were chewed bad enough to replace them with the earlier holed rockers he had on the shelf from the LAs.

Think it would be a good idea for the OP to check all of his '90 pushrods to make sure they are all hollow, and not a few of them solid to go with the oil holed replacement rockers.

I have heard it said that oil holed rockers on the hollow pushrod tube roller engine can drop the oil pressure some cause it is not capped off to hold pressure. Just a thought.

LAs are not sending oil up the pushrod tubes cause they are solid.

Hi all, I am re assembling a 1990 roller cam 318 from a truck. It is for my 70 Duster. When I took it apart I found some shaft mount rockers replaced. What I have now is some rocker arms have a offset hole in the pivot point of the pushrod and some do not. All pushrods are hollow. What is the correct rocker arm for this engine? I assume the hole is for extra oiling.
Also, how much preload should roller hydraulic lifters have with the pushrod from factory?
Thanks
Let me know if need some rockers for your roller motor.

91 318 Roller Engine
No holes in the rockers:

View attachment 1715599513

Earlier LA small block has the oil holes in the rockers:
View attachment 1715599515

Kind of noticed the roller engine pushrods chewed a little more than the LA engines. May have heavier valve springs to offset the extra mass of the roller lifters so they chew a little more.

Maybe the OP's roller engine had a few rockers that were chewed bad enough to replace them with the earlier holed rockers he had on the shelf from the LAs.

Think it would be a good idea for the OP to check all of his '90 pushrods to make sure they are all hollow, and not a few of them solid to go with the oil holed replacement rockers.

I have heard it said that oil holed rockers on the hollow pushrod tube roller engine can drop the oil pressure some cause it is not capped off to hold pressure. Just a thought.

LAs are not sending oil up the pushrod tubes cause they are solid.
All pushrods are factory and hollow. I had another 90 318 with hollow pushrods before. Just haven’t seen the rockers with holes in the cups. Have the original 318 for the Duster and rockers do not have holes.

on the roller motor with shaft oilomg to the shaft and pudhrod oil to the cups -the holes are noy necessary but they don't hurt

-
Back