1st time porting 308

-

1973_Scamp

Reaction score
Hell FABO
I've read bunch of articles and threads about porting engine head, so I give it a shot.
I recently acquire a set of "308" head from 1991 Ram Truck. I removed all valves and degreased the head. Visually, both heads look very decent so I didn't bother to take it to the shop to check for crack. I began porting hour here and there and this is what I accomplished so far. Please advise what else I need to do. This is only the bowl port so far, I'll do gasket match intake port later. I also smooth out the "? surface" what ever that surface call on the last picture.

Thanks,

Attachments

• Exhaust 1.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 555
  • Exhaust 2.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 347
  • Exhaust 3.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 349
  • Exhaust 4.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 392
  • Seat.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 385
Just cleaning up the casting can go a long way to improved cfm (aka quality cfm.) i wouldn't spend much time in the guide boss area, were it's attached to the bowl area. You just gain port volume with no cfm gain.

I haven't flow tested these heads but usually the pushrod pinch area is not as big of a issue or problem as it looks. i would leave it alone, as well as the ssr(short side radius) for the first try.

With all that said, it looks good.

I've worked on quite a few 308 heads, and can tell you that quite often the cracks can not be seen. Have them crack checked before you make any $ investment (machining). Your work looks good so far. When it comes to porting alot of modifications work as a team. Sometimes the sum of 2 or 3 mods will equal more than any of them alone. The pushrod pinch is a good example of this, in an untouched head with the pinch opened to the max very little gain will be found. Now opening up the pinch on a head with everything else very well worked will find a lot improvement. Some of the best gains come from quality seat machining and the valve itself.
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=221217
here is a thread on a set of 308s I did a while back, these heads can be made to work quite well

-
Back