2 part 742 Question re Ratio & Suregrip

-

Divenut

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

So I was looking at my rearend today (my car's not my fat a$$) and have a couple questions that I am hoping FABO could help with.

727 TF/manual valvebody
Open Diff
28" tires

1. The PO said he thought the ratio was 3:23. But while driving the car it seems like the RPMs are high when cruising. Tachs not connected so I am going purely on gut/experience. I jacked it up, marked the drive shaft and tire. Getting a hair short of 1 full driveshaft revolution for every 4 tire rotations. Would that indicate something more in the line of a 3:92 ish ratio?

2. Being and open spool, traction is non-existent when hitting it in first. And breaks loose when shifting into 2nd if I wind it up. That said, short of picking up a second chunk (suregrip equipped) what is involved it setting up the chunk with a Sure-grip or aftermarket limited slip/posi? Also (guess it is really now a 3 part question :dontknow:) is this something the average shade tree mechanic can do, i.e. bolt on some parts and go, or would one suggest gettiing "professional" help. I am fairly handy with the wrenches, but know one can screw up a diff if not done correctly.

Sorry for the laundry list of questions guys & girls. I'm heading back into the garage to sort out my butchered wiring...another story LOL. Look forward to your advise, suggestions and tips.

Pat

And Happy St Pat's Day.

It should be the other way around....one turn of the wheel and just short of 4 revolutions of the driveshaft for a 3.91 ratio and a sure grip. If you're just jacking up one side on a non-sure grip, count the driveshaft revolutions and double it. You can add a sure grip unit to your existing gears but if you don't like that ratio, why not get a complete sure grip 3rd member with the gears you want? It's not a real difficult job to install a suregrip to your gears but it does have to be done right. I think I remember there being a few threads on this subject so you might want to run a search.

It should be the other way around....one turn of the wheel and just short of 4 revolutions of the driveshaft for a 3.91 ratio and a sure grip. If you're just jacking up one side on a non-sure grip, count the driveshaft revolutions and double it. You can add a sure grip unit to your existing gears but if you don't like that ratio, why not get a complete sure grip 3rd member with the gears you want? It's not a real difficult job to install a suregrip to your gears but it does have to be done right. I think I remember there being a few threads on this subject so you might want to run a search.

Thanks for the reply cudamark. I had both wheels off the ground (being an open diff they spun in opposite directions.), and triple checked. Got 1 turn on the driveshaft for every 4 turns of the wheel. :scratch:

The ratio seems OK for me, just trying to determine exactly what the ratio is. Will ultimately come down to $$$ and difficulty level when tackling the Suregrip, i.e. swap used Suregrip 3rd member vs buying and installing an aftermark "posi" unit.

Have a good one,
Pat

If you don't have a sure grip, you'll need to lock one axle from turning and do your count again otherwise it won't be accurate.

If you don't have a sure grip, you'll need to lock one axle from turning and do your count again otherwise it won't be accurate.

You rock cudamark. Jacked up 1 side, driveshaft turned 3 1/4 times for 2 (Another source claims that was the way to do it) revolutions of the wheel. So guessing it is a 3:23 as the PO thought.

Thanks again,
Pat

-
Back