200R4 update

-

Mopar to ya

Reaction score
Well, I ordered the 200R4 and all the accompanying pieces from Art Carr on December 27th. My credit card was charged the same day. I still have no transmission. I called a week ago Friday and asked what was going on. He said he had been waiting for the bell housing adapter and that all pieces were in stock now and shipping was scheduled for the following Monday. Then he said, oh yeah, Monday is a holiday, it will go out Tuesday. That was a week ago today. Still no transmission. I called him today and he says he is still waiting for the bell housing adapter. Wait a minute, I said. You told me over a week ago you had it in stock and would be shipping the following Tuesday. He denied he ever said that. He told me I had to be patient and wait for the bell housing adapter to get in. I told him I had been patient, but in three days it will be a month since my credit card was charged and I have nothing. He said he would call TCI and check on the adapter and get back to me. He called an hour later at 4:00 central time and said TCI was just closing and that they would get back to him in the morning and he would call me right away. I don't know. I am THIS CLOSE to telling him to shove his transmission up his *** and buying one elsewhere. I wanted to install everything last weekend, but couldn't. Now it won't be this weekend. It will be well into February before I see the damn thing and I am well beyond pissed at the moment.

Wow.....nothing like being reliable.....hopefully you will here from him tomorrow...

..................Nothing pisses me off more than somebody lying to me............I'd kill the deal..........kim.............oh ya, some1 came in and needed the kit so he sold it...

I'd tell him to just send my the tranny and all its parts minus the adapter and call up wilcap and order their adapter from them. You'll probably get the adapter before the tranny that way.

Some food for thought. I have done a bit of investigative work on the 200 4r setup as well and found these guys in Cincinnati. Seems like they are up for the job as well. I know everyone talks highly of Art Carr but I am sure he's not the only one who can build a good transmission.
http://www.extremeautomatics.com/

I have never done business with them but I plan on checking them out when it comes time for the tranny in my project car.

I think that you should take a look at the wilcap adapter. It is a heavier piece than the TCI. You have to clearance for the starter on the TCI. The wilcap is 5/8 thick and the TCI is 1/4 thick.

Not sure this is worth a bash-thread yet.....custom parts take time. Carr doesn't build all the parts, he's a vendor too (Not saying he should mis-lead ya tho).

The Wilcap is a stout piece for sure......after I waited for months to get mine(4l65-hemi), I had to ship it back

He's not the only one who can build a good transmission.
http://
Very true. Any shop can use the right parts & build a good unit. It is not like Art Carr is the only guy that can get the clutch packs, bands etc that he is using. I hope you get good news today. Just wondering if you have ever called Wildcap? When I spoke to him a couple of years ago he said that he does not have any inventory of the adapter plates, they are made on an as needed basis and he does not make them on a one on one basis, he waits until he has several to build. Maybe this is the issue with TCI as well?? Anymore, who can afford to thave the inventory on hand??

Not sure this is worth a bash-thread yet.....custom parts take time. Carr doesn't build all the parts, he's a vendor too (Not saying he should mis-lead ya tho).

The Wilcap is a stout piece for sure......after I waited for months to get mine(4l65-hemi), I had to ship it back

I am not bashing him, at least not yet. I am upset because:

1. He charged my credit card immediately, and I have no parts after one month.

2. He never called to tell me anything that was going on / holding up my order.

3. He lied to me about the shipping date and then denied ever saying it.

So far his promise to call me first thing this morning has also become a lie. It is 12:30 in the afternoon here and I still have not heard from him. I am calling TCI myself and will see if they have one in stock. If so, I will know another lie. If TCI has the part in stock I am cancelling my order and going with another supplier or Gearvendors. Enough is enough. He has had my money too long.

Andre at TCI says they make the adapters upon order and it usually takes three days. So where is the hold up? I called Art and he says I spoke to Andre at TCI and they are shipping the adapter today. I said, really? I just hung up the phone on Andre at TCI and he told me three days. This f***er is backpedaling and lying to keep me happy and it is pissing me off.

If TCI has the part in stock I am cancelling my order and going with another supplier or Gearvendors.

all ya need as a good trans guy that knows what he is doing to build the trans ( 1900 sounded sky high anyway) and ya can buy the adapter from wilcap. not a big deal. shame your not closer to jersey. i have a great trans guy that i'm sure would build the 200 just as strong and for a lot less money as that guy. been wanting to see your install. if it looks as straight forward as it sounds i'm doing exactly that. order the adapter from wilcap and get my trans guy to build the trans. i'll source my own converter.

i'd just call him until he gives the stuff over. stay polite about it but be persistent. i agree with the above post about having him send everything immediately except the backordered item.

After your last call with him I would have canceled the order.
His customer service seems to be severely lacking. What happens if you have issues with the transmission? I wouldn't expect any better communication or help from him then what your getting now.

I went in to talk directly with Art just after the 1st of the year about building a 200 for me. I mentioned FABO and he immediately said he was building a trans to go to Minnesota for the same application. Sorry, I didn't ask to see your trans - maybe I should have just to see what condition it was in at that time.
They had several cars up on racks out in the shop. He was installing a 200 in a Mustang on one of them.

Art said he will ship what he has and see if TCI will drop ship the adapter directly to me. They will get here about the same time that way. He was going to talk to TCI about the drop ship and call me back, but you know that old story. I never got the call. All I want is what I ordered. A month is far too long to wait as far as I am concerned.

Lead time on wilcap (after I called them) state 2-3 weeks.

Man, I am sorry to hear about this. I am one of the folks that backed Art for your tranny choice. I have no words for what you are experiencing. I've had great results from his product but am dismayed by what I am reading here. I apologize.

I have no idea how you have been some calm throughout this evolution. Seems to me he should have been upfront and said look I need to charge your card today to get started on the tranny but the adapter wont be here for another month. I'm sure you would have been more than fine with that. Now he has this hanging over his head b/c of bad business practices.

I think it is wrong to charge your card before the item is ready to ship. I have ordered items from vendors before and they don't charge your card until the item is shipped. As far as the 200 4r is concerned, they have been around long enough that the inherently weak pieces have been identified and the stronger pieces are readily available. A competent tranny guy should be able to handle a stout build.

well i would give Art a chance to make it right... also understand that ordering at christmas when a lot of these places are in slow mode will make it take longer. lots of them have kids off school etc.

i still have several weeks to wait for my schuey headers to come in... i ordered at christmas, same deal.

now if Art does not make good then you could rant up a storm. but from what people say i will bet he does make good

Art actually called me today. He said that TCI told him they can't drop ship the adapter because they already shipped it to him that morning. Once he gets it he will ship out the whole works. I am guessing two weeks but hopefully a week and a half.

-
Back