225 Dipstick

-

marianamaya

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me where to get a new or how to cobble a correct dipstick for a 225 slant 6. I purchased the car and it had a broken (I assume from hitting the crank) ford dipstick. I purchased what I thought was the correct model and it has broke off as well.

Any advice is appreciated.

member on here had a procedure --for that problem-- --not sure where it was -- the just of it is -- put in new stick-- rotate motor over carefully-- listen for scraping-- pull out stick & check for metal on metal contact.

also another good idea is to add exactly 5 quarts of oil-- run engine-- let everything settle-- place new stick in & mark the level.
i have a used dipstick if interested(possibly the tube) have not removed from 225 yet. Lawrence

This is and has been a problem for many years..... Not just any slant six will be the correct one, dip stick tubes are taller or shorter and thus this the problem...
I would snag another one up regardless if they say it is a /6 dip stick or not they are different lengths.... do an oil change 5 quarts and a new oil filter.. start the engine up With out the dip stick in .. Let your /6 sit for about 10 minutes then put your new dip stick in.. Mark the full area.. go 1 inch and cut the end off and you will be safe and not brake another off... No, not all /6 dip stick are the same.. I have seen this a few times in my life time.

Back in the early 80s i had a 225 slant 6 '71 dart that kept on breaking dipsticks.
After going through 2 new ones, i bought another new one and just left the broken off one in the tube and left the new one wired to the engine compartment and used that one to check the oil and then replaced the broken one back in the tube.
I told everyone that asked that it was the massive torque of the engine that was breaking them!
That's my story and i'm sticking to it.

here is the dipstick complete with tube-- I'll get the measurements tonight, Lawrence

Attachments

• summer2011 028.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 548
Heres a few pics. I measured it and its close to 7 inches long.Short one with dipstick, Pretty easy to get out. Hope these help you. Not sure on the other one. Its a spare.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 651
  • 002.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 498
Can anyone tell me where to get a new or how to cobble a correct dipstick for a 225 slant 6. I purchased the car and it had a broken (I assume from hitting the crank) ford dipstick. I purchased what I thought was the correct model and it has broke off as well.

Any advice is appreciated.
I would recommend that when you get a replacement stick, you rebend the tube slightly, and insert the stick slowly while the engine is running to make sure it clears the crank. You'll feel it if it hits! Keep bending the tube until it doesn't. Don't get radical on bending the tube as it will break too. A minor adjustment is usually all it takes. Most of the ones I had that did that, needed the tube straightened rather than bent more.

-
Back