225 Piston and crank

-

circlepilot

Reaction score
Got to the point in my 65 Barracuda (225/904) project that is allowing me to do some engine work. Long story short...I'm going to "hot rod " the slant. Offenhauser intake, Holley 390cfm, headers, N2O, head work, cam, etc. The engine was running like a sewing machine, before I pulled it and started the car's restoration. The PO (seller) didn't know much about the car, it belonged to his deceased brother and that it had been sitting since 1988. 41,000 on the speedo. Anyway, I tore it down today and was disappointed to find out that someone had been in it before. The crank had been turned, both the mains and rods .020 (Journals look fine, maybe polish)and the rods were not in their right cylinders, i.e. 6 in position 3, 2 in 4 and so on. The cylinders measured at 3.450 (std 3.400). I have two questions. #1...Should I look for a different crank, because of my pending additions? #2...On the tops of the pistons is a number near the "notch," (03) surely it doesn't mean 30 over? (see pic) Oh! One last thing...a source for the cast aluminum, rear main, seal retainer. The one in this engine is cracked in two places. ***Never mind about the retainer, found one.***
Norm

Piston 225.jpg

Last edited:
-
Back