250 HP Slant Six - No Turbo

-
I'm still confused on the definition of these "old school" tricks? If anything you want to look at what technology has to offer. I run a TBI off of a Megasquirt, along with a Jacobs kit fed by the square waves translated by the HEI. Distributor is locked except for the Tachometer input, this means I will go to the Ford EDIS system on the 170 Supercharger. This means simply keeping the Megasquirt in the car where it already is, along with the e-pump in the tank, 1/2 in fuel lines, and relays on my inner fenders. The Megasquirt also has a great set-up for Nitrous if you hit 260rwhp and want to tip it over....
The crank is also like 65lbs (?) so lightening it will be a great start on the rotating part. One thing about the 225 is that the slant was designed to be a 170, as a prospecting engineer I shutter at the idea of adding a 1in stroke on something not designed to use it (allpar.com, Interview). The K1 rods are much lighter along with forged pistons for a great deal. Compression will be important, and if your going to be dead set on NA I would look into jacking it up and using a water injection system to keep it to pump gas. This cannot be an after thought, cam will love or hate it. Erson is great and will give you a good deal, just have a talk with them about what you have done. Bigger isn't always better, but, the EFI will help against vaccum problems like a carb would suffer from.
I wouldn't buy a hyperpak intake, though I love the look of them. If your a fabricator, I would make something similar to it but with a log style. I've made mine out of sheet metal and have 14in runners. If your not a fabricator, than look at the aussie intake manifolds. The intake and exhaust will be important, but won't be the only parts neccessary. Plan on making your own headers and having them coated, or else I hope you know someone.
So, guy who has to pay his own bills and build the engine. It's possible if you can make some of the pieces AND read up on what technology has to offer. I've made a simple list that combines some of the cool stuff I can do with the Megasquirt and combine some of the "old school" techniques.

This is very entertaining...

You're easily entertained...

The guy who started this rant, claimed in his public profile that his interests were, and I quote, "Motorcycles, hot rods, booze, women, tattoos and loud punk rock."

Sounds like a real mature, stable, level-headed individual.

His last post on FABO was over three years ago...

Wonder if he ever achieved his 300HP normally aspirated slant six???

I don't know if he did or not, but I bet I come damned close.

I don't know if he did or not, but I bet I come damned close.

wow that was a read... i know im at 300 crank... about 200 wheel last time on the dyno... but ive come along way in almost two years so i dont know where it is now...

The guy who started this rant, claimed in his public profile that his interests were, and I quote, "Motorcycles, hot rods, booze, women, tattoos and loud punk rock."

HA! Yeah, I guess I am :)... my definition of "very entertaining" is a far cry from "very educational"!

Highwayhooligan if you want 1.3 hp per cubic inch in any engine you to spin it to 6000-6500 RPMs and gonna need the bottom end to support those speed and HP and zero decked. 2nd head that flow 200+ cfms try for highest cfms so you can get by with lesser degree cam but with highest lift that works with your head flow (custom cam). 3rd compression that works with your cam and gas choice 4th intake, carb and exhaust that works with your HP level. 5th stall speed and gear set that matches your application.

Highwayhooligan if you want 1.3 hp per cubic inch in any engine you to spin it to 6000-6500 RPMs and gonna need the bottom end to support those speed and HP and zero decked. 2nd head that flow 200+ cfms try for highest cfms so you can get by with lesser degree cam but with highest lift that works with your head flow (custom cam). 3rd compression that works with your cam and gas choice 4th intake, carb and exhaust that works with your HP level. 5th stall speed and gear set that matches your application.

...and done cheap

I don't think it will be cheap but reasonable if he could do the porting himself or other wise without the porting he's looking at 200-250 HP.

Hmmmm,forged crank,forged rods,forged pistons .105 over,approximately 11:00 - 11.5:1 Compression,Ported and Polished Head w/1.70/1.44 valves,1.6 Roller Rockers,Offy Polished Aluminum Valve Cover,Holley 600 carb,.510 lift cam,Mallory Unilite Distributor,MSD Ignition,High Volume Oil Pump,Crank Scraper and Windage tray,3 choices for Headers (Hooker SC,Clifford,Aussie),SMR built 727 w/Reverse manual Valve body and Gear Vendor OD,and 4.10 gears !! I think I'll be fairly close to your desired numbers !! Once I get it broken in,gonna be looking for a Dyno Tune !!!

Hmmmm,forged crank,forged rods,forged pistons .105 over,approximately 11:00 - 11.5:1 Compression,Ported and Polished Head w/1.70/1.44 valves,1.6 Roller Rockers,Offy Polished Aluminum Valve Cover,Holley 600 carb,.510 lift cam,Mallory Unilite Distributor,MSD Ignition,High Volume Oil Pump,Crank Scraper and Windage tray,3 choices for Headers (Hooker SC,Clifford,Aussie),SMR built 727 w/Reverse manual Valve body and Gear Vendor OD,and 4.10 gears !! I think I'll be fairly close to your desired numbers !! Once I get it broken in,gonna be looking for a Dyno Tune !!!

I get the impression this wasn't done cheaply...

You would be correct !!The biggest problem I have with this build is due to physical Health or lack of,I've had to have most work done by someone else !!And with the amount I've invested in rods and pistons (although not outragious) I decided to let the engine build be done by a Pro (owner of the MOPAR MISSILE DUSTER)!!I will be installing the engine and tranny into the car !! On a reasonable budget,you could shave the head .090,a set of headers and an Offy intake,and you'll be very pleased with the pep that you put into your step !!

Sorry my interests are not tofu, chess and reading the Twilight series.

Yes, I did accomplish this finally in the winter of 2010. That spring I was driving to a local hot dog restaurant that has a Friday night car show and I was broadsided by a soccer mom who was fiddling with her GPS. The Valiant was totaled. I pulled the motor and trans and sold it to a guy who was going to put the motor in a boat.

My condolences on your Valiant. Maybe somebody will be happy with a good boat motor.

Sorry my interests are not tofu, chess and reading the Twilight series.

Yes, I did accomplish this finally in the winter of 2010. That spring I was driving to a local hot dog restaurant that has a Friday night car show and I was broadsided by a soccer mom who was fiddling with her GPS. The Valiant was totaled. I pulled the motor and trans and sold it to a guy who was going to put the motor in a boat.

can you give us a run down of your mods? I've got 2 slants in the garage just waiting...

x3 on the build.

I'd love to see pictures of this "cheap" 300hp slant six red light bruiser aka boat motor. Dyno proof even better.

Anyone who's wrenched on a these engine would agree that cheap power (big power) and /6 are two phrases that simply do not coexist, outside of Grand Rapids apparently

-
Back