273 318 interchangeable parts

-

ColoradoCuda

Reaction score
Can someone verify that engine accessories and parts from a 1967 273 are interchangeable with a 1967 318.

I have a 273 (in a 67 Valiant Signet 4 dr) and plan to buy a 318 long block and want to use most of the parts from the 273. The final 318 will go in a 67 Barracuda fastback. Also, will my slant 6 3 spd manual work with the 318 with a new bell housing?

Thanks for any suggestions

kt340sport is pretty much right. The alternator, water pump, timing chain cover & I think distributor from a poly 318 should interchange with an LA 318 & a 273. LA 273 & 318 stuff should interchange no problem. I think the 3 speed trans will also work with the right bell housing, but I'm pretty sure you'll need all of the clutch linkage for a V8 from the Z bar on down through the clutch fork. Throw-out bearing might be the same but I'd replace it anyway.

I'm also interested in this swap. I also have a 67 273 non poly,but have a newer 318 & 60's & 70's have the timing marks on different sides. Do you change balancers too? I also heard the pilot for the converter is different for the 67 & down than the 68 & up.I have an 87 318 truck motor that I would like to put in it.

I have a 67 abody with a 273 & 904 with a dead cylinder & have an 87 low mile 318 & a 70 904 trans.

I have a 67 abody... an 87 low mile 318 & a 70 904 trans.

That is what I"d drop in. That should bolt together and drop in using existing driveshaft, motor mounts and exhaust. You need to also get a radiator with the lower on the other side. Try a 70 340 Duster. I'd replace freeze plugs, seals, gaskets and a double roller timing chain as you can afford before you put it back together and in. I'd adjust the bands in the trans, drain all the fluid out of the torque converter and trans and replace filter, pan gasket, front and rear seal. I like the intake and carb off the 273 better also. Thats it for starters.

But,I don't want to have to change the ps pump,rad. Cant you just swap the 273 timing cover,balancer,pumps & etc over to the 87 318?

Can someone verify that engine accessories and parts from a 1967 273 are interchangeable with a 1967 318.

I have a 273 (in a 67 Valiant Signet 4 dr) and plan to buy a 318 long block and want to use most of the parts from the 273. The final 318 will go in a 67 Barracuda fastback. Also, will my slant 6 3 spd manual work with the 318 with a new bell housing?

Thanks for any suggestions

Both engines are LA blocks, assuming the 318 is a 67 (US) or later. The only things that won't interchange will be the pistons (different bore) and the flywheel. The flywheel for the 273 uses the same clutch as the /6, the 318 uses a larger pressure plate and disk assembly.

If you want to run the manual with the 318, ensure that the crankshaft has been machined to hold a pilot bearing. Not sure if you'd even be able to get the 3-speed to bolt up properly without it.

But,I don't want to have to change the ps pump,rad. Cant you just swap the 273 timing cover,balancer,pumps & etc over to the 87 318?

Yes, I just thought it would be easier to just change the radiator. That is what we did in my brothers 67 Barracuda. You will also probably have to drill and tap the smog holes below the exhaust ports. Make sure the set screws are below flush with the port face. When you change timing covers and balancer, leave them at TDC that way you can check timing marks. I've seen them way off.

I need to find out if the 87 has a steel crank other wise I can't swap balancers to do the rest of the swap.

I need to find out if the 87 has a steel crank other wise I can't swap balancers to do the rest of the swap.

why would you swap balancers?
all 273 and LA 318 are neutral balance it doesnt matter if its cast or forged crank, so flywheel's will interchange it is only different on the 340 engine

But will the 87 have a neutral balance cast crank. I will have to go check & figure it out. Thanks all

But will the 87 have a neutral balance cast crank. I will have to go check & figure it out. Thanks all

The only external ballanced small blocks are cast crank 340's and 360's. You are good to go. Even 5.2 ( 318 ) magnums are internally ballanced.

-
Back