273 and 360 interchangeability?

-

trebor75

Reaction score
Well, it looks like I might finally get my hands on a 360 over here in Sweden. I have a really nice running 273 (1965) commando in my Duster today. The 360 is a rebuilt long block. Will my 273 timing chain cover and waterpump fit the 360? I'm spending pretty much all I have right now on the long block so it would be good to know what parts, if any can go from the 273 to the 360. Sorry for my ignorance, I only ever worked on this 273 :)

I have the Solid flat tapped 20-246-4 Magnum cam in the 273 today and Beehive springs. 3.73 gears out the back and a 10" 3000 stall converter and I have a 650 Street Demon Carb. Will this work on the 360? I'm getting more info on the long block tomorrow, don't know what heads are on it or cam etc. All I know is that it's been rebuilt.

I need to buy an intake since my D4B have the wrong angle on the bolts.

I tried using the search, but could not find anything on the subject. So please educate me!

Last edited:
Timing chain cover/water pump will work. Valve train components will interchange. 360 will have hydraulic cam/lifters and won't have adjustable rockers (unless somebody changed it).

But the harmonic balancer on the 360 will not read correctly with the 273 timing marks.
Also the flex plate / flywheel is different.
You can get around this using a simple timing tape on the balancer.
The crank pulley off the 273 may need one hole enlongated to fit the 360 balancer.

I wouldn't speculate on anything until you know for sure what the 360 rebuild consists of. Because of your location, my gut feeling tells me it may be close to a stock 360 rebuild but you never know.

I wouldn't speculate on anything until you know for sure what the 360 rebuild consists of. Because of your location, my gut feeling tells me it may be close to a stock 360 rebuild but you never know.
That is what mine tells me too.

Well, it looks like I might finally get my hands on a 360 over here in Sweden. I have a really nice running 273 (1965) commando in my Duster today. The 360 is a rebuilt long block. Will my 273 timing chain cover and waterpump fit the 360? I'm spending pretty much all I have right now on the long block so it would be good to know what parts, if any can go from the 273 to the 360. Sorry for my ignorance, I only ever worked on this 273 :)

I have the Solid flat tapped 20-246-4 Magnum cam in the 273 today and Beehive springs. 3.73 gears out the back and a 10" 3000 stall converter and I have a 650 Street Demon Carb. Will this work on the 360? I'm getting more info on the long block tomorrow, don't know what heads are on it or cam etc. All I know is that it's been rebuilt.

I need to buy an intake since my LD4B have the wrong angle on the bolts.

I tried using the search, but could not find anything on the subject. So please educate me!

Everything from the 273 will work on the 360, except the Balancer, the trans flexplate ( you should get one balanced for a 360). One of the motor mounts is narrower and bolts differently, I think it is the passenger side. If you use 340/360 heads the ports are larger and I would use a corresponding intake. I assume you are running headers... What water pump system do you have, 69 down or 70 up?

Driver side motor mounts are different...
timing chain cover is interchangeable...put the timing marks on the early engine are on the opposite side...the 360 timing marks on the the driver side.....you can use a timing tape or just mark the 360 damper on the 273 cover...

The motor can be made to work by creatively using spacers where it mounts to the block.

Everything from the 273 will work on the 360, except the Balancer, the trans flexplate ( you should get one balanced for a 360). One of the motor mounts is narrower and bolts differently, I think it is the passenger side. If you use 340/360 heads the ports are larger and I would use a corresponding intake. I assume you are running headers... What water pump system do you have, 69 down or 70 up?

Yes I run headers. The hose from the radiator connects on the drivers side of the water pump. That would make it 69 and down right?

Driver side motor mounts are different...
timing chain cover is interchangeable...put the timing marks on the early engine are on the opposite side...the 360 timing marks on the the driver side.....you can use a timing tape or just mark the 360 damper on the 273 cover...

Thank you for explaining that. I will probably mark the damper.

The motor can be made to work by creatively using spacers where it mounts to the block.

Do you mean that I could make my motor mounts work with some creativity?

The LD4B should mount to 360 unless its been machined. ports sizes are different between heads n LD4B tho

Sorry, I have the D4B intake, my bad.

Is the 360 a newer Magnum type 360. If so there are a few problems that need to be addressed.

Jack

It's the old LA type.

Thanks for the help guys! Really great to have the knowledge of this forum at hand! I will post more info on the 360 later today.

Do you mean that I could make my motor mounts work with some creativity?
Yes if you use spacers or you can relocate the mounting ear on mount itself by cutting and welding. I just used a piece of steel tubing and washers and a longer bolt it worked out just fine.

Last edited:
And windage tray if you have an original 340. I think the oil pickup tubes are the same.
Looks like the OP has a Magnum 360. If so, it came out of a truck and a lot of things need changed.

Magnum? Thought he said it was an LA (post 13)
He said in his original post that his LD4B intake wouldn't work because the bolt holes won't line up. Well, my bad, he has a 65 with a D4B. Heck, I don't know!

He said in his original post that his LD4B intake wouldn't work because the bolt holes won't line up. Well, my bad, he has a 65 with a D4B. Heck, I don't know!
Sorry if I confused you. I made a typo earlier. I have the D4B intake because my 273 is a 65. The 360 I'm looking at is a LA motor.

I promised more info today. Unfortunately I have not been able to reach the seller so far :(

Onto another question, if the 360 was hooked up to a manual 4 speed before going out for sale, will it work with my 727? If not, what would I need to make it work? Converter needs to be balanced? I think I've seen flexplates that could solve that, right? Is there a difference between the crank on a manual 360 engine and a automatic? So many questions...

The 360 TQ has balance weights not the flex plate. You can buy an aftermarket flex plate that's balanced for a 360 and you can retain your existing TQ.

I promised more info today. Unfortunately I have not been able to reach the seller so far :(

Onto another question, if the 360 was hooked up to a manual 4 speed before going out for sale, will it work with my 727? If not, what would I need to make it work? Converter needs to be balanced? I think I've seen flexplates that could solve that, right? Is there a difference between the crank on a manual 360 engine and a automatic? So many questions...

Your 65 should have a 904 not a 727 unless it was changed, yes it will work with the 360. 273/318/340/360 are virtually identical from the outside and most stuff is interchangeable.

-
Back