273 head shave

-

MILO

Reaction score
My 273 engine out of a 65 2bbl stock 8.8 has compression ratio
I had .20 shaved off the heads and used Mr gasket gaskets
My question is how much was the compression ratio raised to.
It seems to run rather well and when I shut the key off the engine stops quick.
The only other mods I did was install offy manifold , carter stock type AFB,
stock 4bbl cam,dual exhaust and of course the purty valve covers and air cleaner.

http://enginefacts.com/dodge273.php

.020 won't get you much. 9.0/1 maybe but if the Mr. Gasket head gaskets are 4.0" or bigger you could be back to 8.5/1. The original gaskets were steel shim with .020 compressed thickness or less and the bore size was close to the stock 273 size. Replacement gaskets are thicker and have a larger bore so compression is usually lost. I used domed pistons, a little over 4.0" bore/.040 thickness head gaskets and milled .060 off the heads and ended up with 9.64/1
compression.

Attachments

• engine 296.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 206
.020 won't get you much. 9.0/1 maybe but if the Mr. Gasket head gaskets are 4.0" or bigger you could be back to 8.5/1. The original gaskets were steel shim with .020 compressed thickness or less and the bore size was close to the stock 273 size. Replacement gaskets are thicker and have a larger bore so compression is usually lost. I used domed pistons, a little over 4.0" bore/.040 thickness head gaskets and milled .060 off the heads and ended up with 9.64/1
compression.

You also had dome pistons.

BTW, hows that thing run?

You also had dome pistons.

BTW, hows that thing run?

It seems to run good. I was fighting clutch issues and then cold weather set in
and I haven't driven it since October. I don't have many miles on it but I was able to spin the tires up the block. Mike

-
Back