273 stroker?

-

DaveZee

SoCal Mopar Guy
Reaction score
Anyone have any info about stroking a 273? Not really concerned about cost-effectiveness vs. a 360 or other crate motor, just wondering if it's possible, and if anyone has done it. What crank, pistons, etc. can be used, or would it be all custom?

Thanks!

Dave

Any engine can be stroked. Up or down. All it takes is $$. The 31/340 mains 4" crank would work, or a turned down 360 crank. And custom pistons.

a 4" crank and a.030" over bore would make a 336cube motor. The problem is the small bore. The 4" crank is going to want some big heads and the samll bore is going to have shrouding problems with large valve sizes. You could build a torquey street motor though with a small valve 1.88" intake 360 heads.

Should be able to build one pretty easy except for the pistons. Noone stocks them, they would have to be custom made. It's pretty hard to find stock 273
pistons. I would think the 203 casting heads would work good. toolmanmike

The bore is only 3.625 which limits the cu in. and valve sizes

As 'toolmanmike' said, you will need customer pistons and rings... But anything’s possible if you got the green.

Interesting idea but far from practical.

If I had a lot of cash and wanted to go racing, seriously, I would build a high compression, aluminum rod , roller cam motor. I've got a customer that races
a early 70's Camaro with a 10,000 rpm small block that is less than 300 cubes.
It screams!!! toolmanmike

One of the best engine setups I ever saw was a De-stroked Nascar engine from the 70's. I think it was a 360 block it rumbled past me at the Nat's I remember it said it made like 8-900 HP I took pics of the specs as I want to build one some day

-
Back