273 Suggestions

-

bbengs70@yahoo.

67redfish
Reaction score
Hello all,

I have a largely stock 67 Barracuda with a 273 auto. It is 30 over with a stock cam and compression ratio (original 2bbl engine). It now runs an Edelbrock Performer 4bbl with an electronic ignition from a 74 Dart and a Transgo shift kit. I am looking for the most cost effective ways to get more power out of the engine.

I just ordered a new ignition control module so hopefully that will help. I will probably also get headers this year. Anything else I could/should do to coax more from the engine short of swapping it for a 360? Thanks in advance for your advice.

hi, the cam can be replaced with a good grind. Isky makes a E4 grind, its a solid lifter cam, works very well in a 273. this is a short duration ,tight lobe center cam, the cam will pull 6500 RPM easily. idles at about 800 RPM. will work with a stock convertor. you can use the mopar thin head gaskets to help bring comp up some. also ,surface heads to 57,3 cc, these two changes will boost comp to about 9.1 . more than enough for todays gas.

If you can find some HiPo pistons (or a core motor for cheap), that would certainly help. I won a 66 273/235 horse motor on eBay for $150 and close enough to pick it up (2 hrs drive time each way). I'm currently assembling it for use in a 65 Barracuda (everything -bore, main and rods - all stayed standard).

-
Back