273 Commando valve covers

-

Dartfreak75

Restore it, Dont part it!
Reaction score
I got a set of super commando valve covers a couple years ago I've been holding on to them I'm thinking about trying to sell them. They are in need of restoration but in really good shape. The only thing wrong with them is one of the spark plug wire holders is broken. I'm thinking the plastic piece would cover it up im not 100 percent sure tho. My question is what are they worth in this condition? I've seen them go for alot of money on ebay but in alot better shape than mine. I don't want to ask too much but I don't want to rip myself off either. I'm trying to fund my paint job so I need the money lol. This is not a for sale ad!! I'm just asking for advice on pricing them. So please don't get me in trouble by turning this into a for sale ad. I'll be posting them for sale on here first before anywhere else if anyone is interested.

20240716_170707.jpg

20240716_170718.jpg

20240716_170711.jpg

289? those must be crazy rare!

(i keed, i keed)

i've seen very decent driver quality ones trading hands in the 2~300 range (sometimes with pcv & breathers) and full minty ones tipping the scales at around $500.

those appear to be restoreable, but the damage to the one set of fins/holder, and that stovepipe looks a little pushed down and mangled. so i'd say they're probably worth about 100, maybe 150 if somebody really needed just one or three sets of fins to finish up a set or something.

GLWTS

(i keed, i keed)

i've seen very decent driver quality ones trading hands in the 2~300 range (sometimes with pcv & breathers) and full minty ones tipping the scales at around $500.

those appear to be restoreable, but the damage to the one set of fins/holder, and that stovepipe looks a little pushed down and mangled. so i'd say they're probably worth about 100, maybe 150 if somebody really needed just one or three sets of fins to finish up a set or something.

GLWTS
Yes 273 I must have had a ford in my mind haha thanks!

(i keed, i keed)

GLWTS
The stove pipe had a big long tube drove down onto it. I removed it and straighten it out best I could. It's hard to get to the back side of it due to the baffles. Here is what they looked like when I got them. So my next question would It be better to try and restore them and then try to sell them?

Screenshot_20240716_175849_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20240716_175907_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20240716_175956_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20240716_180006_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20240716_180032_Gallery.jpg

i mean, what's your time worth? plus 50~60 in materials.

i'm not trying to throw shade on your ability, but unless they're perfect i don't see north of $250 so that would entail an absolute keen spray job, repairing/replacing the fubar'd fin and gacked up pipe.

people buy these because they want them correct; so then, iffin it's anything less than dead on balls accurate that equates to less dinero. usually much less.

personally i'd put them up at a buck-fiddy and let 'em be somebody else's passion project.

I could be wrong, but it appears that you have two driver's side valve covers? I don't see a wire shield or alternator harness clip that would be on a passenger side valve cover. That could also affect your price.

i mean, what's your time worth? plus 50~60 in materials.

i'm not trying to throw shade on your ability, but unless they're perfect i don't see north of $250 so that would entail an absolute keen spray job, repairing/replacing the fubar'd fin and gacked up pipe.

people buy these because they want them correct; so then, iffin it's anything less than dead on balls accurate that equates to less dinero. usually much less.

personally i'd put them up at a buck-fiddy and let 'em be somebody else's passion project.
Thanks bud I appreciate it! I was thinking 100 so a buck 50 would be a good starting point!

I could be wrong, but it appears that you have two driver's side valve covers? I don't see a wire shield or alternator harness clip that would be on a passenger side valve cover. That could also affect your price.
Oh wow! Thanks for the heads up. I never even noticed that. I wonder where the other two are? Haha

I found a pic on here and this one appears to have the wire hold down on both sides

engine 296.jpg

This is what I'm referring to on the valve covers:
1721171614063.png

This is a set of '67s, so the PCV is different; but the wire shield and the alt. harness clip is the same as on earlier ones.

There were slight differences throughout the years, so mismatched/damaged, I would sell as is. No offense but no matter what u do they won't fetch $175-200. Pick your battles and invest your efforts where the rewards are greater.
GLWTS

I found a pic on here and this one appears to have the wire hold down on both sides

View attachment 1716277085
Huh? Those are mine and there are wire holders on the passenger side only.
I got a set of super commando valve covers a couple years ago I've been holding on to them I'm thinking about trying to sell them. They are in need of restoration but in really good shape. The only thing wrong with them is one of the spark plug wire holders is broken. I'm thinking the plastic piece would cover it up im not 100 percent sure tho. My question is what are they worth in this condition? I've seen them go for alot of money on ebay but in alot better shape than mine. I don't want to ask too much but I don't want to rip myself off either. I'm trying to fund my paint job so I need the money lol. This is not a for sale ad!! I'm just asking for advice on pricing them. So please don't get me in trouble by turning this into a for sale ad. I'll be posting them for sale on here first before anywhere else if anyone is interested.

View attachment 1716277029

View attachment 1716277030

View attachment 1716277031
THose are 1966 drivers side covers and in pretty rough shape. Cut your losses and ask $100 and get rid of them. Some stock car hack ruined a good set of covers. Oh and by the way, there is no such thing as a "super Commando 273" The Dodges were Charger 273's and the Plymouth's were Commando's.

View attachment 1716277087
This is a set of '67s, so the PCV is different; but the wire shield and the alt. harness clip is the same as on earlier ones.
Nope. Not on all. 65's didn't have the center wire guard just the 2 clips on both ends. 66 was like you pictured but the drivers side had a stove pipe on both covers. The PCV fit in a chrome push on cover (same as a 426 Hemi) with a threaded valve. 67 went to the rubber grommet and a push in PCV.

View attachment 1716277087
Oh ok! I thought you ment the plug wire holder! My bad! But one thing I do notice is the breather pcv grommet. Mine has the tube on both sides!

Huh? Those are mine and there are wire holders on the passenger side only.

THose are 1966 drivers side covers and in pretty rough shape. Cut your losses and ask $100 and get rid of them. Some stock car hack ruined a good set of covers. Oh and by the way, there is no such thing as a "super Commando 273" The Dodges were Charger 273's and the Plymouth's were Commando's.
There are no losses to cut lol. But thanks for the information!

There were slight differences throughout the years, so mismatched/damaged, I would sell as is. No offense but no matter what u do they won't fetch $175-200. Pick your battles and invest your efforts where the rewards are greater.
GLWTS
Now that know they don't even match I probably won't even try to sell them! No offense taken! That's why I asked I really don't know much about them and now I do! There scrap metal!

No they are still worth $$, don't throw them out. I have an odd cover and am looking for the mate.
Fyi, I'm just proving my point that some people are looking for oddball/mismatches so to speak.
Now that know they don't even match I probably won't even try to sell them! No offense taken! That's why I asked I really don't know much about them and now I do! There scrap metal!

The pass side cover for 66 has smokestack pcv but also has the cupped loom holder for alternator wires.
The 1st pic is of our 67. It has the cheesy grommet for pcv. It also has the cupped loom for wiring.
2nd pic is the stovepipe, but will also have cupped loom/wire holder.

20240716_200406.jpg

20240716_200423.jpg

nah man, somebody will want them for parts. or for a beater to have that "look".

adios them puppies and throw some coin in your pocketas!

Out of curiosity I went out to the shop and looked and it appears someone cut the wire holds off you can see where there was something and it was ground off. So I'm thinking these are 65s without the center wire hold.

20240716_204239.jpg

20240716_204246.jpg

Somewhere, there's someone looking for an aluminum trim piece of one of those cause they have one messed up. Just gotta find that person! I told the story on here a few years ago about digging out my NOS Direction chrome valve covers only to find out I had 2 of the same side. Fast forward a few years and a member here PM'd me to tell me he had an NOS pair with 2 of the OTHER side from what I did! I sent him one and he sent me one back......win-win for bofus!

Oh.....and that Chevy that you posted the pic of above sure has a nice 273 in it! :rofl:

I'll see y'all after my ban is over....lol. :p
:rofl: idk where I got 289 from but I'm blaming @Garrett Ellison ! We were talking about a 239 v6 as I was typing this post so.. that's my story and I'm sticking to it ! Lol

-
Back