275/45r18 on non duster anyone?

-

newguy

Reaction score
Really struggling with wheel diameter and sizes which really puts progress on my 74 swinger on hold. If I go 15's then I need to stay with 11" disc.

But if I go with 17" or 18's I will go with 13" disc, problem is tire sizes available and to minitub or not.

I really don't like the rubber band look, but want good handling and obviously with less sidewall there will be less sidewall roll.

I will be installing a Ford 8.8 that has 3.73's so I would like a 28" tire to help with highway rpms, not to mention filling up the rear opening looks good to me.

Seems like there are very few street tires 28" overall height with 275-325mm width, really nittos are one of the few.

Soooooo, is it possible to fit 275/45r18 with only a spring relocation? Really hate trying to decide, I love the 315/60r15's but those are very few to select from.

Ps
this will be only a funday street car, rarely if ever dragstrip or autocross car, but want to enjoy the ride as much as possible, and plan to have 500+rwhp eventually and don't want too limited of traction that would put me in the ditch.

Sorry for this question, as level of enjoyment is highly personal, but hate to have regrets

Last edited:
You can go up to 11.75 inch discs (Mopar cop car) and still stay with 15" wheels if that's what you prefer. Very nice upgrade. All it takes is a rotor and caliper bracket swap, and it bolts up to your existing spindle. If you can't source the parts locally, Dr. Diff carries them brand new.
As far as tires, there's still lots of choices out there in a 275/60-R15.
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/Tire...&rearRatio=40&rearDiameter=17&performance=ALL
https://www.performanceplustire.com/products/ts:275-60-15:ty:Tire/

It would help if we knew what body you want to put big wheels/tires on. So far, i know its not a Duster. That don't tell me much.
Edit: if you are REALLY going after 550 wheel horsepower, my guess is you will need as big a drag radial as possible, and 15s work better than 18s. You might consider 17s on the front, for big brakes, and 15s on the rear. It's done all the time.
I wouldn't plan on an A-body being a handling car, with 700 hp under the hood.

Last edited:
sorry, forgot no signature that shows my cars. This would be a 74 swinger. I am installing dennys HDK k member so cant go with my spindles anymore, need to find brakes for the Mustang II spindle and was thinking about either 13" baer brakes from a forum member or ccp 13" brakes using corvette parts.

Hmmmm, maybe I should get the baer 2 piston 11" brakes, need more research. I need to start browsing how staggered wheels look on our cars. thanks for the replies

-
Back