3.55 from 8.25

-

rbkt65

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
getting ready to strip out a truck and send it to the happy hunting ground. any special reason to keep the 3.55 from the 8.25 rear end? it is a non sg.

save it and list here for sale. Surely someone wants that !

A 2.92 (or whatever lousy gears an 8 1/4 had), sure, sell it for scrap. But I think 3.55s are worth saving.
As said above, for sale adds are free.

On the other hand, it's a TRUCK rearend. How wide is it d to d ?

I think the ring and pinion would sell.

That's a popular and somewhat hard to find ratio for that axle.

A 2.92 (or whatever lousy gears an 8 1/4 had), sure, sell it for scrap. But I think 3.55s are worth saving.
As said above, for sale adds are free.

On the other hand, it's a TRUCK rearend. How wide is it d to d ?
I don’t know about that. Hiway gears are becoming more popular every day with interstate speeds regularly hitting the 80+ mph mark .

And a well set up open differential will hook both tires for a fair amount of time .

I don’t know about that. Hiway gears are becoming more popular every day with interstate speeds regularly hitting the 80+ mph mark .

And a well set up open differential will hook both tires for a fair amount of time .
Theoretically, you're right. I just think it's a lot less likely that somebody that has 3.55s will want 2.92, than a guy with 2.92 will want 3.55s.

2.94 is a step up from the much more common in 8.25 carrier 2.76.

Theoretically, you're right. I just think it's a lot less likely that somebody that has 3.55s will want 2.92, than a guy with 2.92 will want 3.55s.
Yes , but I have noticed a lot of Wanted ads for 2.92s ,2.76s etc

In fact I have a set of 2.76s in my Barracuda right now . Will be going back to 3.55s once my newly built 46rh is installed.

I don’t toss out 2.76 or 2.92s anymore . Lol

image.jpg

image.jpg

Keep the carrier and the ring and pinion.
The carrier is specific for like 3:21 and down ratio. The higher gears like 2:94 or higher use a different carrier so you cannot put the wider / lower gears on it.
Syleng1

getting ready to strip out a truck and send it to the happy hunting ground. any special reason to keep the 3.55 from the 8.25 rear end? it is a non sg.

The newer 3.55 from the trucks and Jeeps fit in the OE 8.25 A body rear ends.
All it takes is a different carrier bearing size.

I have a 3.55 sure grip from a Dakota in my 73-74 8.25 rear end.

The newer 3.55 from the trucks and Jeeps fit in the OE 8.25 A body rear ends.
All it takes is a different carrier bearing size.

I have a 3.55 sure grip from a Dakota in my 73-74 8.25 rear end.
Keep in mind that 97 and later 8.25s went to 29 splines.. and 96.5 and earlier were 27 splines. Sure grips are plentiful in both the auburn cone type and the Trac lok 2 pinion clutch type. Yukon is making a dura grip for the 8.25 now but requires 29 spline axles.

You could also try posting the whole rear axle over on For Trucks Only. What year and model of truck is it specifically out of? What about the brakes and wheel bolt pattern?

Keep the carrier and the ring and pinion.
The carrier is specific for like 3:21 and down ratio. The higher gears like 2:94 or higher use a different carrier so you cannot put the wider / lower gears on it.
Syleng1
Well I put a 4.30 and a 4.56 on a 2.92 carrier the only thing to do was grind down the pinion shaft to get it by the ring gear as by the mopar manual ,it was a sure grip factory 1978 .

-
Back