3 on the Tree shift pattern?

-
I have never driven a car with a 3 on the tree. What is the shift pattern? Thanks in advance!

First is toward you and down
Reverse is toward you and up
Second is away from you and up
Third is away from you and down

These are all from the neutral position

Not a real good explanation but it's the best I can come up with without a drawing

Couldn't have said it better myself... I love driving them just something about em that I think is way cool..

I have also heard that with early A bodies, there was nothing to keep you from shifting front 1st into reverse. Or any other gear into reverse. Is this true?

I have also heard that with early A bodies, there was nothing to keep you from shifting front 1st into reverse. Or any other gear into reverse. Is this true?

You have got to be stoped almost before you shift into reverse, the trans will just grind, its not synchronized for that shift...

1srt is pull back toward you and down and second is up and away from you and 3rd is straight down from second, pull to you and up is reverse
here I am with a three speed on the tree 66 Valiant 170/6

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-CQmR999Uo"]YouTube - Memike2010 fun 022.avi[/ame]

Not a real good explanation but it's the best I can come up with without a drawing

I think you guys are on drugs....

"First is toward you and down" Wrong, it's towards you and up
"Reverse is toward you and up" Wrong, it's away from you and up
"Second is away from you and up" Wrong, it's away from you and down
"Third is away from you and down" Wrong, it's toward you and down

"First is toward you and down" Wrong, it's towards you and up
"Reverse is toward you and up" Wrong, it's away from you and up
"Second is away from you and up" Wrong, it's away from you and down
"Third is away from you and down" Wrong, it's toward you and down

You might want to re-think that......we're talking about a 3 speed on the column

R 2
| |
| |
| |
1 3

Tony is right!!!!! My very first car was 66 Valiant 3 on the tree. Exact same car as Memike's except it was white with red interior. :)

How times have changed, many of us remember when 3-on-the-tree cars and trucks were everywhere.

"First is toward you and down" Wrong, it's towards you and up = reverse
"Reverse is toward you and up" Wrong, it's away from you and up = 2nd
"Second is away from you and up" Wrong, it's away from you and down = 3rd
"Third is away from you and down" Wrong, it's toward you and down = 1st

=; :roll: Fixed

standard H pattern just on the column.

yup>

Thanks Dave

I don't do drugs:eek:
same here Tony No drugs.."except in a can or bottle" :happy10:
I bet I have driven 25 or more 3 on the tree trucks and car's :iconbigg:
Heck I think my first sit in and drive to the field was an old ford truck a farmer had :iconbigg: Same shift pattern

I thank you all for your input. Don't worry, I trust you. I won't be insisting on mandatory drug testing, or anything like that. Hell, if it wasn't for the drugs most of us wouldn't even be half as interesting as we actually are! Thanks again!

R 2

X

1 3

three speed shift pattern, same for floor or column
X= shifter handle
you could even get some little stick on letters and numbers and place them on the column until you get used to it

Maybe I shouldn't have put the second x in there. I was just trying to show that it was sort of like an H by an H. Lousy visual on my part. It was an International cabover farm truck, just one stick, with 5 speeds on the column. Still a PITA to drive, especially because the linkage was really sloppy & it was easy to miss 2nd and go from 1st to 4th. Do that with a load & you killed the motor really quick. Also, since it was a cabover, reverse, 3rd, & 5th usually meant slamming your fingers into the windshield. OUCH! :cussing:

My first Mopar was a 3 in the tree. It was a 65 Dart 270-post with a HP273 and a 3 on the tree. I found out later it was one of only about a dozen made. Powershifting second was murder. The shifter was loose and it would get jammed in the gate. I kept a hammer under the seat so I could knock it loose from under the hood.

-
Back