3" TTI exhaust out the back

-

lomchivok

Reaction score
Ive got a 68 Barracuda. I'm getting ready to put an Eddy pro flow 4 EFI port injection on my 408 but I want to upgrade the starter and exhaust first. I would like to run 3" TTI headers and pipes all the way out the back but I've been told that there will be fitment issues at the rear spring mount. looking at it, I don't see an issue.

Anyone out there running 3" pipes out the back on a 67 thru 69 'Cuda?

I want to run those tailpipes on my duster. But i have moved the springs in 1/2" With Dr diff kit, so they may need to be massaged?

I got the 2 installed pics from Mike Raby at TTI. The other pic is a TTI 3" exhaust system with Hooker Mufflers i have on my Duster now with dumps at the axle.

71-Ply-Duster-belly-with-Exh-Syst.jpg

A-body-TP-Frame-Rail-Distance-copy.jpg

Exhaust.jpg

I suppose it depends on if you have a fuel cell or stock tank. I’ve been looking into the same thing. I am mini tubbed with a dana and fuel cell. I think I could get them to fit but I dunno. Thinking the stiffness of the ss springs might add to the clearance.

Make life easier and your exhaust more efficient by running smaller tubes after the mufflers and over the axle, and use a larger end piece if you like the look.

I got the 2 installed pics from Mike Raby at TTI. The other pic is a TTI 3" exhaust system with Hooker Mufflers i have on my Duster now with dumps at the axle.

View attachment 1715580599
View attachment 1715580600
View attachment 1715580601

WOW, I replaced my old crusty gas tank back when I first started my build , with a 113 tank , and have offset spring hangars , got about 3/4 to 1/2'' clearance between the tank and frame on each side , with offset spring hangars !!
Cant sneak anything thru there , unless over the springs , AINT DOING THAT !

I had 3 inch on my 69 cuda when I got the car. I was very new by the previous owner, however I took it off and went back to stock. The 3 inch fit in there, but was really too big and touched the rear brake hose and other stuff. In my opinion there is just not enough room. Depends on what you want & if you are willing to put up with the extra aggravation.

I have 3" tailpipes on mine, its minitubbed with a stock tank. Extremely tight fit and it's all custom, had to scallop out the passenger side to clear the shackle. I'd be shocked if an off the shelf kit would work.

Anyone out there running 3" pipes out the back on a 67 thru 69 'Cuda?
No problem with the TTI integral turn-downs. My rearend has been narrowed and the springs moved inboard with the Mopar offset kit, advertised as 3/4"offset, IIRC.

The kit comes with long enough pipes to fit all wheelbase A-s, so on the 108s you have to cut the pipes to fit; start at the back. Hang the back, then the front. Then put the mufflers where you want them, and trim the pipes to fit. On my car,the joints are all slip fit with no clamps. The joints soot up in a few miles and stop spitting. WD-40 loosens them if you need to take them apart.

I drilled drain holes in the mufflers at the lowest spots. And located the muffs by self-taping sheet-metal screws. And the tailpipes the same way. On a hoist it only takes a couple of minutes to take it all down.

Oh yeah, the tailpipes are hanging in the factory locations, both ends, but optimized on the points for clearance. I did this after the mufflers were installed, so the front of the tailpipe did not move far, nor did it have to. But the back needed a couple/few washers to center it up. The rest was just rotating the pipes in the mufflers for best fit, then locating them there with a single sheet-metal screw, thru the muffler's spigot into the TP.

Last edited:
I have a full 3” TTI system on my 68 barracuda with the stock tank, factory tips (modified to fit 3”) and the Mopar offset spring hangers. Had to cut and change the angle of the pipes in a few spots and add a dent for clearance on the passenger side. Can get you some pics of you would like.

Thanks for the responses. Crawling around underneath I can't see any reason why they won't fit. My springs are in the stock location and a stock tank for now. When the Eddy pro flow 4 EFI intake is installed I'll be going with a Tanks Inc Efi tank...may be some fitment issues between them and stock...???probably (hopefully) not.

Right side between the tank and frame rail is the HOT spot, pretty sure you don't want it touching the tank.

mostly about relocated springs, but these threads might give you some ideas

I had a street rod shop install the TTI kit on my car. They ended up cutting it apart and welding it back together to get it to fit correctly on my car. Your mileage may vary.

3" Summit kit installed and tweeked by Boise Muffler . About 700$ altogether. They did a SWEET job !
8A642BCF-6128-4A3A-8583-49E0C94DFD82.jpeg
7A7E3F89-FFCA-4505-AF46-E35EF3BCBB0D.jpeg
FB405E49-20BB-4BD3-8CA3-18BA438CB6F4.jpeg
E09051B5-21DE-4919-8C12-F92E74B11317.jpeg

'68 Barracuda with a full 3"TTI system out the back. No fitment issues at all. I used a stainless ovalized megaphone style tip on my set-up to sweeten the sound. It takes the harsh note out of the straight cut pipe end. Same sound altering concept musical instruments have a flared end for.

Incidentally, I added a pair of racing cats just past the collector to cut down on the eye burning smell at idle. It worked like a charm with no performance loss. These are the non-California legal, coated metal matrix racing converters with a 3" inlet/outlet and a 5 inch body with a length of about 9 inches.

Ha, no doubt about the burning eyes. This thing just down right stinks...I'm hoping the EFI will help to reduce that. I did go up 2 sizes on the secondaries and 1 on the primaries on the 4150. It runs 12.5 AFR all the way through a dyno pull...a bit rich at idle. Cats, now there's something I hadn't considered...

Ha, no doubt about the burning eyes. This thing just down right stinks...I'm hoping the EFI will help to reduce that.

My brother converted his SS454 Chevelle from a Demon carb to MSD Atomic efi a couple of years ago, first thing he noticed was it no longer had that stink, added bonus was about a 30% improvement in fuel economy and instant starts, hot or cold.

Ha, no doubt about the burning eyes. This thing just down right stinks...I'm hoping the EFI will help to reduce that. I did go up 2 sizes on the secondaries and 1 on the primaries on the 4150. It runs 12.5 AFR all the way through a dyno pull...a bit rich at idle. Cats, now there's something I hadn't considered...

I have EFI on the car too, but the hydraulic roller cam I'm running hangs both valves open for quit a while. Even though the wide band says its burning clean, it still burned folks eyes.

-
Back