318 2bbl won't idle without choke

-
Good advice / points all around - it's a tough call I think. On the one hand, a quick cleanup and crossed fingers may let me drive it enough to at least diagnose any other stuff I should do while the engine is out of the car. Although at this point, there can't be much left. I've replaced the entire charging system, cooling system, brakes, entirely rebuilt front suspension with Borgeson power steering, exhaust, fuel tank and pump...I guess going through the trans would be about the only other thing.

On the other hand, conceding that I won't be on the road for a few months gives me the winter to rebuild the engine and fix some body stuff (namely, floor pans and upholstery). The last thing I want is to limp it through winter, only to have it give out in Spring when I really want to be driving it.

True. I will add one thing that AJ made me think off. If that chain skipped a tooth (or many) and the valves kissed the pistons, you could very easily have pushrods that are no longer straight. And maybe even valves. Luckily the stock pushrods are only slightly stronger than wet spaghetti so they are usually the first to go. If you decide to try and get it running and not rebuild it you should at least check em out.

Well after the old "stare at the car sipping a beer for a couple hours" I've decided I'm going to pull and rebuild the engine. I will probably do a very -very- mild build power wise. I want to keep it able to run 87 and something really strong like a built 360 would just spin my 14" Polyglas instead of doing anything useful. Plus, I'd need to change my radiator and shroud which I'd rather not do since I *just* bought a real nice set.

something really strong like a built 360 would just spin my 14" Polyglas instead of doing anything useful
You can say that again, My 367 spins the tires, from a dead stop, for between 7 and 8 seconds they say; and that's with 325/50-15 BFG DRs.
My winter engine, a factory stock/refreshed,low-compression 318, was a lotta fun with a 4-speed with 4.30s,lol. But a 2800TC and 3.55s,was fun for awhile too. The only other add-ons were: A small-port 4bbl intake with a big TQ on it, TTIs with dual full-length 3" pipes, and enough valve spring to support ~5500 rpm. I usually shifted 5000 but wanted some headroom in case I missed a shift. I never did, and never tested to find the upper limit; 5000 was already way over the power-peak; it's just really cool to hear a factory smoggerteen screaming thru dual 3 inch Dynomaxers at 5000,lol.
One combo I liked was 2.76s, the 2800, the 2.74-1.54-1.00 non loc-up trans, and a VB, that shifts when you tell it to. What I liked doing was to get it up on the 4bbl, then keep the rpm down for as long as possible to hit the speed limit. I'm guessing about 12 seconds of Thermoquad moan. Ok pull-over Dad, lets do it again. Hyup my son got hooked on the TQ-moan just like me. As soon as he got a his first vehicle, an 84 D-100, he bugged me for my winter Combo. But he was not having a 2.76. So I let him have the 3.55s for a while. Until he complained about the fuel mileage,lol. Then we cut it back to 3.23s, and I put a lil more preload on the airdoor.
He drove that truck like that for many years, until about the time he got married. Hyup, good times. Now he's got three kids from 1 to 4, and that truck is languishing in my back-40. It took a chit-kicking, and he wore the body right out.

-
Back