318/360 hybrid

-

93toyota

Reaction score
sounds like a stupid name but could'nt think of another name for the topic. I am thinking of using my 360 heads and 4barrel intake to put on my 318. I am talking all stock parts here, and then adding a 600cfm edelbrock. Could it work? Will it fall flat? :cry: Please give me your input or advise? :salut:

well. I suppose it would depend on what year 360. You get a newer year smogger head and it may defeat the porpose. I mean. They should fit. and the 360 would be able to flow more.

What year and kind of heads are they? What do you want to gain?

try to find a set of heads with small chambers so you dont kill the compresion..

You'll need to mill the 360 heads down or you'll have a real low compression ratio.

looking to gain anything. got the parts laying around and figured if i could gain anything, i should make use of them. I think the block that i took them off was a 92 but not sure. They do have the air pump holes and it had a hyd. roller cam. I probly would mill the head if i did it to increase comp ratio as high as i can get it. I would probly have to mill the intake also. How much of a gain would i get if any? :salut: the 318 is a 82

I built one of these many years back and it worked out GREAT, it had a little cam, a 600vac sec Holley on a cheapo dual plane manifold, it ran great.
I had to make up some odd spacers to fit the rockershafts and get some different pushods, but it worked good.
We took .100" off the head to get the CR up.

Oh it's been ten years and on another continent, I just remember the car was way quicker on the street, I probably have all the details somewhere, when I get some spare time I'll see if I can dig them out and post them, good luck
Andy

You dont HAVE to cut the heads, but you will loose a lot of the factory 7.8:1 (real) ratio. The upside, you can run 86 octane! Personally, I'd look for a set of 86-91 318 heads..The casting # ends in 302. They are a pre-Magnum high swirl head, that has a closed (small) chamber design..They'll run great on your 82. If you can, have the intake port enlarged to match the 340/360 port size, and you can run any intake, and it will rip. Another trick, use the thin MP head gaskets, and you should be able to get the compression up close to 9:1.

-
Back