318 4bbl upgrade. Help

-

4DrSwingr

Reaction score
Hey guys I need some help, I just replaced my intake and carb to a 4bbl in my 74 Dart, now I’m stumped on how to make the throttle linkage work. Any help will be much appreciated.

IMG_7818.jpeg

As to factory parts
at the bare minimum, you will need ;
a different throttle cable and
a factory 4-bbl cable bracket
and a longer KD rod.
Plus, I can't tell what the bracket on the carb looks like, so whatever you need there.

Hey guys I need some help, I just replaced my intake and carb to a 4bbl in my 74 Dart, now I’m stumped on how to make the throttle linkage work. Any help will be much appreciated.

View attachment 1716292457
You can use your 2bbl linkage if you want to, i've done it more than I care to remember.
Here is a couple of videos from one of those youtuber Clutz's ..... :D
The 2nd video is just as important as getting it hooked up!

and another.....

You can use your 2bbl linkage if you want to, i've done it more than I care to remember.
Here is a couple of videos from one of those youtuber Clutz's ..... :D
The 2nd video is just as important as getting it hooked up!

and another.....

Seriously thank you!!! Those two videos were exactly what I needed, I knew there had to be a way to use the old bbl linkage. Fabo is really an amazing group of people.

There are lots of old eyes here. The linkage in your picture might as well be a mile away.

This is a 318 2 to 4 bbl conversion. The throttle cable is aftermarket Spectre.
I believe the stock one would work but I didn't have one. I reused the 2bbl manifold bracket.
The kickdown is extended with a fine thread found at the local hardware store.
Relocated the kickdown return spring. Use the proper Edelbrock throttle adapter for Mopar.Works for me !

IMG_0002a.jpg

View attachment 1716292457

The cable throttle pressure setup simplifies the heck out of that part.
Then you can make your money back by selling the rods setup.

^^^^^ As TrialBeast stated. This is the aftermarket cable kickdown set up.

IMG_0001.jpg

My engine builder used Lokar throttle & "kickdown" cables on my Edelbrock 1406 on a LD4B.

View attachment 1716292850
Man I wish I had the time and money! I have a parking spot and a love of classic cars. I actually fabricated a linkage bracket at work today out of aluminum. It is actually working, quite well so far. If I’m lucky I might be able to fire the engine tonight. Fingers crossed.

So much to my dismay something is wrong. As soon as I start my engine it over revs like the throttle is wide open. This cars is going to be the death of me.

So much to my dismay something is wrong. As soon as I start my engine it over revs like the throttle is wide open. This cars is going to be the death of me.
  1. Hook the springs up first, so the throttle plates are closed. Make sure they are closed.
  2. Hook up the throttle cable. This will verify it is long enough to reach the throttle lever without opening it up.
  3. Hook up kickdown linkage. Verify when throttle is wide open (engine off) that the kickdown is 98% all the way back.
  4. Also, you can verify the fast idle for the choke isn't for some odd reason turned way up.

So I’m waiting on en electric choke so there isn’t one. No cable nothing. Would that make it act like the throttle is wide open?

So I’m waiting on en electric choke so there isn’t one. No cable nothing. Would that make it act like the throttle is wide open?
When a car is in park, the throttle does not have to be open but a crack to rev to the moon. Again, verify they are closed (visual).

Cudos on the SP-2P. Got one on the shelf i'll probably never use...lol. Let us know how much better she runs when you get it sorted out.

-
Back