318 build suggestions?

-

Exjouster

Reaction score
A friend of mine has a 318 short block .060 over, zero deck engine that we’re going to build. It’s going into my ‘67 Barracuda convertible, which will be running a 904 automatic and 3.91 gears with 28” tires. Couple of questions:
1. What’s a fair price for the short block?
2. What’s the best top end combination out there to make 400 horses with it? Thinking some aluminum heads, and would prefer a complete package (cam, lifters, roller rockers, etc).

I haven't dyno'd my 318 so i don't want to comment on parts... but i am here to watch the 318 haters go off :)

BTW.. i went with trickflows on mine, the price is a little higher than other brands but i have more faith in that company to not send me garbage. Also went with Mancini roller rockers, they are made by harland sharp and were around $550 at the time.. i went 1.5 but they have 1.6.
No idea on cam, i went with a howards roller in mine and over-cammed.. it sounds amazing but not sure on power yet.

BTW, and i say this as a 318 owner, you could get 400hp out of a 360 SOOO much easier and for soo much less money. just sayin..

BTW, and i say this as a 318 owner, you could get 400hp out of a 360 SOOO much easier and for soo much less money. just sayin..
I have built my 318 a little too but I don't know if its going to be quite enough... I am looking at doing a 360 swap either LA or 408 magnum stroker from BPE.

Also in it for the 318 haters club

I have built my 318 a little too but I don't know if its going to be quite enough... I am looking at doing a 360 swap either LA or 408 magnum stroker from BPE.

Also in it for the 318 haters club
i'm not a 318 hater, i just know how much money i have into mine and i could have made more power with a RV440 for 1/5th as much. i have never had a small block before so i'm doing it for fun :) I have 4.57 gears, don't need a ton of power to move out.

I haven't dyno'd my 318 so i don't want to comment on parts... but i am here to watch the 318 haters go off :)

BTW.. i went with trickflows on mine, the price is a little higher than other brands but i have more faith in that company to not send me garbage. Also went with Mancini roller rockers, they are made by harland sharp and were around $550 at the time.. i went 1.5 but they have 1.6.
No idea on cam, i went with a howards roller in mine and over-cammed.. it sounds amazing but not sure on power yet.
I know it's not cheap but I hope you get a chance to dyno it. Sounds like a fun combo.

I know it's not cheap but I hope you get a chance to dyno it. Sounds like a fun combo.
I have a buddy with a chassis dyno.. but he hates mopar to the point that he would blow it up on purpose.... also.. he's a LS guy so when i make a whopping 290RWHP for the same amount i could have made 700 with a ls i would eat **** forever :)

I have a buddy with a chassis dyno.. but he hates mopar to the point that he would blow it up on purpose.... also.. he's a LS guy so when i make a whopping 290RWHP for the same amount i could have made 700 with a ls i would eat **** forever :)
That's not worth it. I have 3 engine dyno's and 3 chassis dyno's within a couple hours of me. I know it's only a number (a low one) but I wish I had spun my 273 up just to see. If I would have seen 250 horse I would be happy. Teens are rated at 230 horse so anything you do to them will be an improvement. Basic hot rodding will get you to 400 horse.

That's not worth it. I have 3 engine dyno's and 3 chassis dyno's within a couple hours of me. I know it's only a number (a low one) but I wish I had spun my 273 up just to see. If I would have seen 250 horse I would be happy. Teens are rated at 230 horse so anything you do to them will be an improvement. Basic hot rodding will get you to 400 horse.
yeah, i'm more worried bout driving the damn thing this year :)

A friend of mine has a 318 short block .060 over, zero deck engine that we’re going to build. It’s going into my ‘67 Barracuda convertible, which will be running a 904 automatic and 3.91 gears with 28” tires. Couple of questions:
1. What’s a fair price for the short block?
2. What’s the best top end combination out there to make 400 horses with it? Thinking some aluminum heads, and would prefer a complete package (cam, lifters, roller rockers, etc).
These guys did it with iron Magnum heads. A good set of alloy heads and a decent cam with a 4 barrel of course will get you there. I would spend the extra and run a roller. But...........................no you are adding to the budget and it's not a cheap build any more. https://www.motortrend.com/how-to/mopp-0409-318-engine-build/

I'd go magnum heads and spend the money on a hydraulic roller cam personally...an honest 350-380 (maybe the mythical 400) should be doable with magnum heads that have some bowl work and hughes 1110 springs with valve guides cut for .550-.560 lift, an RPM air gap/air gap copy, 650ish cfm carb, and if flat tappet, I'd look to have bullet cams grind one with this lobe: HC272/336 272adv [email protected] [email protected] 0.3360 lobe lift (.537" lift with stock magnum 1.6 ratio rockers)...I'd have it ground on a 110 LSA and install it at like 106ICL because I'm not a fan of a lot of overlap that causes chop at idle.

Speedmaster top end with a decent 230 cam should get you 400 + hp, if wanting a little more driveablility probably go with a 224 cam something like xe268h.

If you look the 400 hp 318 combos really no different then what it takes to make a 400 hp 340/360, a 318 just at a higher rpm 5900-6200 rpm peak hp vs 5400-5700 rpms for 340/360.

400-425 hp 318's

https://www.motortrend.com/articles/0810phr-chrysler-318-engine/

https://www.motortrend.com/articles/ccrp-0401-mopar-318-engine/

https://www.motortrend.com/articles/318-small-block-build/

477hp 318

https://www.motortrend.com/articles/0901phr-mopar-318-magnum-engine/

282hp 318

https://www.motortrend.com/articles/mopp-0312-318-long-block-bolt-ons/

Last edited:
Start a thread in Small Block with all those links and I'll make it a sticky then shut it off so we don't get a lott of 360 crap.

Torque wise, even though I don't think it's a big deal, the torque probably be for a 400 ish hp engine.

318, 380-400 tq
340, 400-425 tq
360, 425-450 tq

Once you factor in the deeper gears and stall you should be running similar torque to the wheels, basically equals out, and if you don't want to run deeper (kind of a vague concept, deeper than what? Average?) then my signature fits "If your willing to gear it build it if not build a larger displacement, Or take solace in your compromises".

Last edited:
Start a thread in Small Block with all those links and I'll make it a sticky then shut it off so we don't get a lott of 360 crap.
There already under post #27 sticky on Magazine Builds

Good move on the zero deck for building compression. What year is the block and has it been sonic tested to see if the cylinder walls are good for the .060 overbore? @Exjouster

-
Back