318 driver carb size ? what to use?

-

rustytoolss

Reaction score
What would be a good Honest size 4brl carb to use on a 318 LA daily driver/cruiser. Without over carbing it, like most people do. No headers, auto/ 2.76-3.23 gears/ electronic Ign, 204 duration cam.

I spent a lot of time with Holley on the phone and looking at their charts. On their suggestion, I installed a Holly 570 CFM Street Avenger. Couldn't be happier. I had to modify my cable/kick down mount by also using part of a later model mount to handle the kickdown rod and lengthened the rod with a piece of threaded stock and a threaded bushing from my local True Value. It all works beautiful. Other than that, the carb is just about as plug and play as it can be. My Dart is my true daily driver and it fires right up every time whether it's in the twenties on a winter morning or over 110 in our summer afternoons. It runs beautiful. Very responsive. The only difference in our set-ups are headers on mine.

https://www.holley.com/products/fuel_systems/carburetors/avenger/street_avenger/parts/0-83570

I was just going to mention that carb. It will get set up exactly like a AFB except the tuning of the secondary spring loaded air door. No off the line bogs with that one. Once properly set up.

I really think 500 CFM's will be fine.

I spent a lot of time with Holley on the phone and looking at their charts. On their suggestion, I installed a Holly 570 CFM Street Avenger. Couldn't be happier. I had to modify my cable/kick down mount by also using part of a later model mount to handle the kickdown rod and lengthened the rod with a piece of threaded stock and a threaded bushing from my local True Value. It all works beautiful. Other than that, the carb is just about as plug and play as it can be. My Dart is my true daily driver and it fires right up every time whether it's in the twenties on a winter morning or over 110 in our summer afternoons. It runs beautiful. Very responsive. The only difference in our set-ups are headers on mine. https://www.holley.com/products/fuel_systems/carburetors/avenger/street_avenger/parts/0-83570

x2...I'm also very happy with that carb, run's plug and play...the only thing I added was a phenolic spacer because of start issues with hot motor...with phenolic spacer no hot start problems any more!
318, LD4B, 570 street avenger, performer plus cam, standard 318 exhaust manifolds

I used a Carter 625cfm AFB (vac.sec.) on a Edlebrock "Street Master" intake manifold with a 360/727 kickdown linkage, and it was flawless.

Both are difficult to fnd today, but well worth the search.

i used edelbrock 1406 with rpm intake and isky rv cam on stock rebuilt 318 setup ran great, good throttle response through the whole range

CFM Requirement for a 318 goes like this:

318 X 6000 (max rpm) / 3456 = 552.08 cfm

edelbrock 1406.....Hands Down....:supz:

Super Simple....

-
Back