318 Intake Gaskets Question

-

domdart

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Tomorrow I am going to re-install my performer intake on to my 72 318. The Fel-pro gasket kit came with the metal 90041-1 gaskets. I had Fel-pro 1243's on it before. Does the raised side of the metal gasket go against the head or the manifold? What kind of sealant should I use on them? The directions say to brush on a thin coat of blue gasket sealer.

blob:https://www.drivparts.com/6cca81d5-a421-4e16-92c2-5ff8e8487ba2

Use these dry, with just a little RTV sealer at the water ports.

Bolt threads clean with brake parts cleaner and seal threads with aviation sealer. (or high tack).

20210801_100709.jpg

Plastic insets (red) to hold gasket on place during assembly.

☆☆☆☆☆

I'd much prefer the 1243's with the alum. intake vs the metal. Not too expensive to purchase outside the kit. I still have a metal set in the garage from many years ago. Used them a few times on stock rebuilds back then. I believe i put the raised section toward the int. Good luck and get her sealed up so you can get on the road and have some fun. :)

raised section of the gasket goes down. need to keep the top of that horseshoe port open to let the heat out of it.

I was always told to have the raised part up so that it will crush down when u tighten it. But head gaskets blow the up or down theory all to hell. They only make 1 gasket so 1 goes up and the other goes down. Kim

raised section of the gasket goes down. need to keep the top of that horseshoe port open to let the heat out of it.
The OP has embossed shim-style metal gaskets, They are referring to the embossed ridge, what are You talking about???

Tomorrow I am going to re-install my performer intake on to my 72 318. The Fel-pro gasket kit came with the metal 90041-1 gaskets. I had Fel-pro 1243's on it before. Does the raised side of the metal gasket go against the head or the manifold? What kind of sealant should I use on them? The directions say to brush on a thin coat of blue gasket sealer.

blob:https://www.drivparts.com/6cca81d5-a421-4e16-92c2-5ff8e8487ba2
Rick is correct, the embossed ridge goes up, but You are better served with the other type as per George's pics. If You stick w/the metal ones, yes use the blue stuff, if the surfaces are good You're good.

Tomorrow I am going to re-install my performer intake on to my 72 318. The Fel-pro gasket kit came with the metal 90041-1 gaskets. I had Fel-pro 1243's on it before.
I don't think the metal shim gasket is supposed to be used with the Edelbrock aluminum intakes. I mean nothing is stopping you from doing it, but I had to buy new and much thicker composite gaskets because it was recommended.

I don't think the metal shim gasket is supposed to be used with the Edelbrock aluminum intakes. I mean nothing is stopping you from doing it, but I had to buy new and much thicker composite gaskets because it was recommended.
X2 metal ones will leak.

-
Back