318 POLY top end assembly ?

-

skrews

Reaction score
Whats the correct top end assembly procedure for the 318 poly?

1) Assemble rockers/shafts on heads with the pushrods hanging out the bottom of heads, then bolt heads on block.

2) Put head on block with lower head bolts, then assembling rockers as you push shaft through.

3) ?

Flame on lol

I think I found the answer.

Like a hemi, sort of. You install the heads with the rockers, then you back off the adjusting screw, pull the rocker to the side, drop in the pushrod, let the rocker slide back over. Repeat 15 times, of course you have to turn the crank to get the lifters "down" as you go.

I'd have to try it like a LA. I know the pushrods are at a funny angle and not in a row. You should be able to line up the intakes with the rockers and one by one install the exhausts onto the rockers. Either way, it's like a monkey fu**ing a football. LOL

Don't have one. The irony is that I just tossed a bunch of old Motors books a few months ago, the answer was probably in one of them. :BangHead:

Of course you do. It's called the internet. Go to MyMopar they have many you can download..........free

MyMopar - Mopar Forums & Information - MyMopar Tools/Reference

Click the service manual link......

MyMopar - Mopar Forums & Information - Service Manuals

Download anything 66 or 65, say, and navigate to section 9 Actually 65 might be better because they have not intermixed the 318 and 273 as they did in the 66 manual

That ain't how he did it. Nor any of the rest of the poly builds on youtube. So I guess they all got it wrong too.

Thanks for that!
I had not even pulled a valve cover off of one of these wide blocks
nice to see all the internals
didn't realise the valves were not in line like the latter small blocks
I take it the mount for the rocker shaft don't un bolt?

slide shaft threw and add rockers as you go???????????

Thanks for that!
I had not even pulled a valve cover off of one of these wide blocks
nice to see all the internals
didn't realise the valves were not in line like the latter small blocks
I take it the mount for the rocker shaft don't un bolt?

slide shaft threw and add rockers as you go???????????

The mount for the rocker shaft is cast in the head. That's the reason you have to back off the rockers and slide them to get the pushrods in place. My poly originally had non-adjustable rockers. Those are a real treat to work with! I switched mine to the adjustable type for ease of assembly.

Last edited:
-
Back