318, to stroke or not?

-

csdemc

Reaction score
I am building a 318, I want about 400hp and was thinking about stroking the motor. This car will be a street stoplight to stoplight car. I would like to hear your thoughts on stroking or not stroke the motor. list of what I have so far below.

Holly 650 double pumper
Edelbrock RPM AIR-GAP
360 J-head with 2.02

318 block .40 over

I also have a 360 crank, but don't know if that is a good way to go. And if you think Stroking is a good way to go please let me witch way you would go on that.
Thanks

Based on what you want, and the three items you listed, stroking is the answer.

The beauty is the streetable horsepower you can get from stroking; a super mild 224/230@50 and .500/520 lift cam would get you somewhat close to 400 if those heads have good flow numbers and some long tube headers were attached.

I got my eagle SIR I Beam rods for $100 at mancini in January and my 4" eagle crank through campbell enterprises for $335 (+$75 shipping) last month for my 318. It's not that expensive if you shop smart.

I'm w/Mr. Bill on the stroke length. Go right to the 4 incher and enjoy mad amounts of torque over a 360 crank in the 318. Which isn't bad, but probably a lil'more expensive with less return.

Ok how about:
Scat 4.00 crank SCA 9-340-4000-6123-2125
KB Piston #kb846-40

Can I use my stoke Connecting Rods?
and how about Cam?

KB846 are flat tops..
KB847 are dished.....

pick the one that fits your compression ratio....and your heads..

New rods are cheaper and stronger than the stock rods and a better bet.

Select cam based on the cams operating RPM range of which you'll be ethier driving in or performing in. Realize the added stroke will lower the operating RPM of the engine and cams listed performance range by a few hundred RPM. This is due to the added stroke.

Eagle forged h-beams rods with strongest arp bolts possible is what I use and recommend

Get a 10 inch converter, 3.55 or 3.91 gears and keep the short stroke. You can get a 7,000 red line and nice high compression pistons for the 318 bore, 3.31 stroke.

Chevy got by with a 3.25 stroke in their 327. Geared and cam right-solid cams- those were killer motors

I got a stock stroke 340 with a 10 inch and 3.91 gears, 26 inch tires, looking back glad I don't have a 4 inch stroke. Not when its doing 4,200 rpm at 75 mph for 30 mins..yeah Its getting expensive for fuel.

Stop light to stop light its perfect. Long highway rides not. One half tells me to stick the 3.23 gears back in, the other half says live it up while fuel is "cheap"..who knows what it be in a few years time

A .060 stock stroke 318 will equal a 328. Use stock 360 heads and cam, gear and converter the hell out of it. LOL!

I'm so old, I recall the gearheads moaning when Chevy came out with the 350 with a 3.48 stroke, the 327 was still thought of as the "better" engine cause it could rev to 7,500

eagle I beam 5140 steel
scat I beam 4340 steel

which one is stronger..........

-
Back