318 Upgrade

-

Spacegrass

Reaction score
Just picked up a 73’ Swinger and an LD4B intake manifold to replace the stock one. It came with a Flowmaster exhaust already on it, as well as what looks like eBay headers in the trunk.

Should I install the headers? They have oval portholes but I’ve got both shaped gaskets.

Also curious about carb upgrades. Should I do it? And which one should I get? At this point I’m not racing at all, just using her for a fast daily driver and maybe some road trips.

4A447F2A-913F-402E-A640-23DD6E19476C.jpeg
0BA08A91-719E-423C-9B60-67AC02827DEE.jpeg

Not sure what you mean "oval but have both gaskets", but headers will help it perform. However, they have their down falls, generally fitment, installation, and sometimes life with them after they are on....

Oh I mean that the headers appear to be for a small block Chevy, as the port pattern is the same for the 318 but they’re oval and not square.

I pulled this image from Amazon, but these are the headers that were in the trunk.

9E6DE219-0B21-4012-90A6-596F98A02719.jpeg

Oh I mean that the headers appear to be for a small block Chevy, as the port pattern is the same for the 318 but they’re oval and not square.
Oh, welcome to the site! Friend, it is hard enough to get headers that are made for your A-body to fit in there, those Chevy headers need to go to a chevy owner.

Got a picture? Sounds like they are not LA headers. Besides, for the street you want Doug's or TTI's, everything else hangs low and they end up smashed.

Edit, those don't look like Mopar or A-Body.

Hah, I figured that those weren’t going to fit. They look somewhat close to the Doug D453-B but with how rusted on the stock manifold is, I wouldn’t risk it.

Hah, I figured that those weren’t going to fit. They look somewhat close to the Doug D453-B but with how rusted on the stock manifold is, I wouldn’t risk it.

I bet they are Chevy headers. You couldn't install the spark plugs with those headers.

Doug's are way different. Look at the flange. Tubes are bent differently too.

upload_2021-2-18_15-1-14.png

Damn, thanks for the heads up! I’ll throw them on Facebook Marketplace I guess. At least I know the intake fits! :)

Should I grab a new carb or the headers first? And what’s the best one to grab? Thanks for the help, all!

My 120,000 mile '71 Dart GT with the original 318 has an Edelbrock LD4B with a 1406 600 cfm carburetor. My exhaust consists of factory manifolds, FlowMaster 40s and 2 1/4" pipes.

Should I grab a new carb or the headers first? And what’s the best one to grab? Thanks for the help, all!
I would "tap the brakes" a little and slow up. What intake is it? You can do either carb or headers first, but you might want to look into options for headers. A cheapie set for 179? Or a nice set for 650? Or maybe something in between..... As for the carb, are you carb savvy? Any other plans for the engine besides carb and headers? I would think it through a little more, ask questions, before throwing money out and later regretting it.

I would "tap the brakes" a little and slow up. What intake is it? You can do either carb or headers first, but you might want to look into options for headers. A cheapie set for 179? Or a nice set for 650? Or maybe something in between..... As for the carb, are you carb savvy? Any other plans for the engine besides carb and headers? I would think it through a little more, ask questions, before throwing money out and later regretting it.

I’m actually not very carb or header savvy, which is why I decided to register and make this thread! I know that I’m looking for whatever the best value is in terms of horsepower for money.

The intake is an Edelbrock LD4B, that I know.

I’m actually not very carb or header savvy, which is why I decided to register and make this thread! I know that I’m looking for whatever the best value is in terms of horsepower for money.

The intake is an Edelbrock LD4B, that I know.
Good intake. 2nd hand carbs can be tricky, a lot of them have had the jets or metering rods changed for a specific application. So many carb choices and most will tell you to buy a 600 edelbrock carb. Not a bad choice for a carb but myself I'd buy a Holley style carb, Quick fuel, Brawler... etc. For headers, I'd recommend Dougs. A good quality header that fits nice and is a little cheaper than TTI's. IF money is a deal, then buy a cheapie set from ebay and a hammer... LOL. I've used cheapies for years and they do work.

Good intake. 2nd hand carbs can be tricky, a lot of them have had the jets or metering rods changed for a specific application. So many carb choices and most will tell you to buy a 600 edelbrock carb. Not a bad choice for a carb but myself I'd buy a Holley style carb, Quick fuel, Brawler... etc. For headers, I'd recommend Dougs. A good quality header that fits nice and is a little cheaper than TTI's. IF money is a deal, then buy a cheapie set from ebay and a hammer... LOL. I've used cheapies for years and they do work.

thanks a ton!! That’s all a big help! Such a shame that I can’t hammer those Chevy headers in there since I’ve already got em.

If you don't have a 4 barrel carb I would do that before headers.
Figure out what your budget is first and then ask lots of questions first.Get a game plan and budget and stick to it.

You have power steering, so headers get interesting. TTI and Doug's are said to clear. Doug's didn't clear my power steering coupler.

If you don't have a 4 barrel carb I would do that before headers.
Figure out what your budget is first and then ask lots of questions first.Get a game plan and budget and stick to it.

Would an Edelbrock 1406 work? Seems to be available and in the budget.

Is that the one that was for sale South Jersey? looks like a nice car

First complete your assessment of what you have.
For example: What's under that K&N with the filter top?
Drive it. See how you like it. How it stops, accelerates, mpg, etc.
See what you like, whats annoying, what if anything really disappoints.
Then go from there.
A stock 318 2 bbl can be pretty snappy at street speeds.
4 bbl can help a bit with passing on the interstates, and most certainly on the dragstrip.
But for around town or even regular highway driving a 2 bbl is not bad.

First complete your assessment of what you have.
For example: What's under that K&N with the filter top?
Drive it. See how you like it. How it stops, accelerates, mpg, etc.
See what you like, whats annoying, what if anything really disappoints.
Then go from there.
A stock 318 2 bbl can be pretty snappy at street speeds.
4 bbl can help a bit with passing on the interstates, and most certainly on the dragstrip.
But for around town or even regular highway driving a 2 bbl is not bad.

Everything is stock besides that K&N and the exhaust! My buddy has an Edelbrock 1411 that he’s trying to get me to stick on there, and he’s basically giving it to me so I’m considering it even though 750CFM is way too big.

Mpg isn’t a massive issue for me. Personally I could do for a lot more response on the highway, and that’s my primary issue. I’ll be doing a lot of long drives from Philadelphia to South Florida and it would be great to have something that can get me there fast and reliably.

-
Back