318 vs 360 opinion

-

RAVano

Reaction score
Back story, I found a used 318 magnum that I put in my car and found out after the fact the engine needs a rebuild. The car will be just a driver nothing high HP. Would you rebuild the 318 with a cam or just put bone stock 360 in the car?

Do you already have the 360? Either choice is a good one...

No. The 318 is in the car running right now.
If you found a good running 5.9, it may be cheaper than rebuilding the 318. Does the 318 need just a simple re-ring kit, or will the crank need turned, heads replaced, etc. You may not know the correct answer till the 318 is tore down. I do know good running 5.9 magnums can be bought between 250-350 bucks. Again, either choice is a good one. Or maybe we throw in the 3rd choice.... find a good used 5.2 magnum to replace the one you already have.

Check out the price on a rebuild kit for the engine you have. Sounds like you're going to pull it either way, so tear it down and see what she needs. It may be a cheaper fix than buying a new engine.

The 5.2 magnum in stock form is about as stout as the LA360. They had very good cylinder wear, I bet it still has cross hatch in the bores if it came off a EFI motor.

The 5.2 magnum in stock form is about as stout as the LA360. They had very good cylinder wear, I bet it still has cross hatch in the bores if it came off a EFI motor.
Good to know, Thanks

If you don't have a 5.9 or 360 then rebuild the 5.2. It sounds perfect for what you want and could easily take a few mods to make a funner motor out of it. A bit larger hyd roller, headers and a 650cfm carb would be fun on the street.

There is nothing wrong with the specs of the roller cam, I would leave it in there if it measures up to snuff.
Hands down I would use the Magnum for it's 9.2 Scr it will make enough power. The bottom ends go for a long long time.
The 9.2Scr 5.2M is rated at 230hp, to
the 8.0Scr 360LA 4bbl/340 cam's , 240hp.
The LA360 2bbl stocker might edge out the 5.2M in the torque department but in an A-body it just ain't that important.
What's not to like about this:
power-318-gif.gif

I dont have any fancy charts...but I have two pickup trucks...94 5.9 2500 with 330k miles on it....original engine and a 99 5.2 1500 with 180k miles...I am original owner...

the 5.9 will run circles around the 5.2,,,,,,,

I dont have any fancy charts...but I have two pickup trucks...94 5.9 2500 with 330k miles on it....original engine and a 99 5.2 1500 with 180k miles...I am original owner...

Yea I have both also same year 2001 my 5.2 is a 5 speed the 5.9 is an auto. The 5.9 has a noticeable advantage in power but I love my 318 5speed. 289k miles. And still strong.... well strongish

If you have the 318 already and don't have a 360, just build the 318. What makes you think it needs a rebuild whats it doing?

When it get over 160 degrees it starts to make a knocking noise. Checked around with a stethoscope and can't pin point where its coming from. It's not the rockers, pushrods, lifters or timing chain. I'm thinking its piston slap or a cracked ring land.

they are both Magnums......a 5.2 will still be behind a 5.9. Magnum to LA is the difference.

Yea I have both also same year 2001 my 5.2 is a 5 speed the 5.9 is an auto. The 5.9 has a noticeable advantage in power but I love my 318 5speed. 289k miles. And still strong.... well strongish

The Magnum trucks will often "feel" different based on the calibration it's running in factory truck applications. Check the PCM and around the engine compartment on the 5.2 Magnum trucks, looking for a campaign label saying a dealer recalibrated it at some point. If the label is present, you likely have the Magnum "death flash" that takes away a fair amount of power and fuel economy because they were compensating for some of the common issues. If so, an aftermarket tune will level the playing the field quite a bit. A good 5.2 Magnum without the death flash will often feel much closer to a 5.9.

I am assuming original post was about a carbureted engine. And if it were me and I was sure it was an internal noise, I would tear down and inspect it. As others stated, if the bores are still good shape, most everything else can be fixed fairly cheap.

The Magnum trucks will often "feel" different based on the calibration it's running in factory truck applications. Check the PCM and around the engine compartment on the 5.2 Magnum trucks, looking for a campaign label saying a dealer recalibrated it at some point. If the label is present, you likely have the Magnum "death flash" that takes away a fair amount of power and fuel economy because they were compensating for some of the common issues. If so, an aftermarket tune will level the playing the field quite a bit. A good 5.2 Magnum without the death flash will often feel much closer to a 5.9.

I am assuming original post was about a carbureted engine. And if it were me and I was sure it was an internal noise, I would tear down and inspect it. As others stated, if the bores are still good shape, most everything else can be fixed fairly cheap.
Mine had an aftermarket tune when I bought it. It came with one of those handheld bully dog tuners. I never bothered trying to tune it as it ran fine to me. I never had a situation where I felt it lacked power.

I've had a few of these Rams, including one with the Mopar performance computer requiring premium fuel. The 5.9 trucks still had a noticeable power increase, mostly bottom end torque. Also, I thought the 5.2 trucks had a hotter cam and tune from the factory than the 5.9 came with? My 5.9 trucks got a little better mileage as well because the engine wasn't struggling as much as the 5.2 truck. At the end of the day, they are both great engines.

Back story, I found a used 318 magnum that I put in my car and found out after the fact the engine needs a rebuild. The car will be just a driver nothing high HP. Would you rebuild the 318 with a cam or just put bone stock 360 in the car?
I would find a good condition 5.9 and swap that in. The torque increase is a pretty noticeable difference between the two, especially down low where a street car needs it.

-
Back