340 2 barrel manifold

-

jonnyrose

Reaction score
Did 340's ever come with 2 barrel intakes from the factory?

Ok, funny story here. Long ago, an acquaintance had a '71 Duster. 3 speed in the floor, 318 w 8 3/4 rear. Never thought anything of it - lots of 318 3/floor cars got 8 3/4. He sold the car to another friend, we pull the motor for a rebuild and find a 340 inder the 2 bbl intake. This was long before checking numbers to the block, and the car got parted, so never knew if it was "original".

Only when we were racing them in bomber class at the dirt track, where we put a 500 cfm holley on them lol

If I remember correctly ......Mopar did make many 340s with a 2 barrel!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But they were all 318 engines.........:rofl:

Last edited:
I was asking because I found a small block with factory orange paint and valve covers,its never been apart or messed with,it was removed from a brand new car back in the day,but it's only got a 2 barrel manifold,could it have been a special order?

I was asking because I found a small block with factory orange paint and valve covers,its never been apart or messed with,it was removed from a brand new car back in the day,but it's only got a 2 barrel manifold,could it have been a special order?
You should look at the numbers on the side of the block. None of us have seen or know about a 340-2 barrel. Never say never with Mopar but very highly unlikely.

Yep Thursday I will be back there to check it out,maybe s mbv app a photo

1968-69 318s 2bbl were painted red that after age, grease, dirt & what not, can take on an orange'sh apperance...could this be what you saw?
unnamed.jpg

there would certainly be other indicators even from a distance without reading block #s. ex manifolds, fan, that sorta thing.

1968-69 318s 2bbl were painted red that after age, grease, dirt & what not, can take on an orange'sh apperance...could this be what you saw?
View attachment 1715477112
there would certainly be other indicators even from a distance without reading block #s. ex manifolds, fan, that sorta thing.

Yes ^^^^^ see if it has the thinner Cast Iron water pump that exits on the driver's side, typical of the red 68 - 69 318s. By the way these are the 230 hp 9.2:1 compression 318s, so hang onto that one.

Yes, and the above pictured 318 has the cast iron water pump.

-
Back