340/416 piston question.

-

woody30

woody30
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I know in the 340 engine the piston sits about .018 out of the block at tdc. Does the same thing happen with the stroker piston or is the pin height moved so its zero deck clearance or is it down in the hole or still at negative deck clearance???? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Woody.

Most of the strokers Ive seen are deck height of negative. A stroker yields a lot higher compression at zero deck than a standard 340.

Just add the compression height of the pistons you're looking at to the rod length (6.123) plus 1/2 stroke and you will know where they are. I'm guessing they (stroker kits) usually shoot for 9.578-9.6 (deck height).
A quick perusal of Summit shows all 340 stroker pistons they have at 1.459-1.460 which will put them just at or below stock deck height.

It has nothing to do with the pistons really. It's where the deck has been machined to that sets the height. Most factory decks are tall - meaning the pistons sit lower in the bore than the catalogs say. That's why it's so important to look at the pin height and verify the deck height of the block.

I had to have my blocked milled to 9.588" to zero deck my stroker pistons. Without milling the block they would have sat slightly in the hole.

-
Back