340 engine mounts

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the difference between these and the 318 brackets?

Just asking because my 340 car has a 318 in it and the rubber biscuits are twisted as if the previous owner forced the engine to fit. I now wonder if they used the original 340 brackets.

Thanks for any help.

Art

What is the difference between these and the 318 brackets?

Just asking because my 340 car has a 318 in it and the rubber biscuits are twisted as if the previous owner forced the engine to fit. I now wonder if they used the original 340 brackets.

Thanks for any help.

Art

318 340 360 all use the same passenger side mount.

Drivers side the 318 is different than the 340 mount.

Drivers side 340 works for a 360.

OK, I understand that the driver's side motor mounts are different.

Are the biscuit locating holes different?

Are the engine tabs thicker on a 340 versus a 318 or vice versa and thus one of the brackets are narrower than the other?

I plan on putting a 340 into the car and I am trying to figure out if I already have the 340 mounts.

Thanks for any help.

Art

The 318 mount is wider than a 340 mount, so that would mean the 318 tabs are wider.
Some have used a 318 mount on a 340 motor, by making up the difference with washers.
Kind of a hokey way to do it if you ask me.

If your drivers side mount is wider than your 340 tabs it is from a 318.

The biscuit mount holes are the same on A-body's.

This is where it gets tricky, because E-body 340 mounts are different than
A-body. I have seen people trying to pass E-body mounts off as A-body.

Here are a couple of pics.
One is a 318 mount, the other a 340 mount.
These pics are on a 360.

Attachments

• Picture 719.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 377
  • Picture 717.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 385
OK, thanks you have been a great help. I measured my mount and it is 2 3/4" from outside to outside. From the picture of my setup it appears that someone may have used a 340 mount on the 318. And they installed the ears behind the mount tabs.

Sorry about highjacking the thread but I wanted to make sure about trying to obtain the mounts from the original poster.

Art

Attachments

• Droid camera purge 375.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 362
OK, thanks you have been a great help. I measured my mount and it is 2 3/4" from outside to outside. From the picture of my setup it appears that someone may have used a 340 mount on the 318.

Sorry about highjacking the thread but I wanted to make sure about trying to obtain the mounts from the original poster.

Art

And it's mounted wrong... the mount goes behind the engine ears. See Johnny's pics for proper orientation

That mount is moving the engine too far to the rear.

Hang on to the current bracket you have if you ever want to put a 340/360 in it other than the R series/replacement blocks.

Find a stock 273/318 bracket and you should be good to go. Not real hard to find.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back