360 414 build heads????????????

-

woody30

woody30
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Bought a package deal. 360 short block. Another 360 block stroker clearanced with a .060 stroker kit. Also has a 242/248 @.050 .570/.576 solid roller cam and lifters with it. I have a 6 pack set up to go with whichever one I build. Need heads. And also which would you build?? 414??? What would you recommend??

LA block? W2's worked ,Edelbrocks,as well. We need to see a picture of the piston. Better yet,measure the deck height. Let's start there. Nice find,BTW.

Indy heads, W9 heads. Go for the throat and don't look back. You'll be glad you did I the long run. Nothing like stomping a new bung hole into brand X'er's in fine fashion.

W2's are fine when fully ported. The cam you have doesn't have the lift required for a well done set of W2's but will perform great!

Determine exactly what you want from it and go from there.
If you want a maximum effort , the six pack will have to go.
If you want a stout street / strip piece , it will work nicely and have the show and tell factor.
W-5's are such a crap shoot and not cheap to put together the complete top end..........none of the W series heads are.......but if you find solid castings and have them done by a quality shop , you will make all the power a stock block wants to see. Again , more cam would really make it come to life.
The cam you list would probably work well with a six pack application.....I don't think you'd benefit from too much more stick in there.
Are you going to sonic test the block that is clearanced ? Not a bad idea if it hasn't already been done.

Skip the W5 due to there being a pricey head and a bit hard to find. They are out there! But often costly to own. I forgot to mention the "Air Wolf" head. I can not remember the porter here in the North East. I think it Dr.Jay? (Ugh! Crap! I can't remember now.)
He ports them out really well. I'd run them over a W5 because there cheaper and flow well. Not quite a W5 flow but close enuff to seriously consider them as a replacement head worthy of thought.

If you can find a set of W5's inexpensively, that would be great if they didn't need a ton of work to use.

I just want a really good running street engine that will go to the strip maybe 2 or 3 times a year. The guy I bought the stuff from had a friend that got Airwolfs and had problems with them and got no satisfaction from Dr J's at all. I'm steering clear of those. Hughes prepped Eddy's??? EQ's???? Anybody run either of these??

I like the specs of the huges large mouth Edel heads. That would be a awesome street head on top of that stroker.

Laroy prepped Eddys.

I like the specs of the huges large mouth Edel heads. That would be a awesome street head on top of that stroker.

Laroy prepped Eddys.

There are a couple of " name " porters / engine guys in the N.Y. / Pa. area that I would have no problem using and ported Eddies are a very nice head for street / strip combos. I don't even think I would go to the IndyBrock expense. Just have a set of RPM's ported and drive happily ever after.

Talked to a guy at Indy Cylinder Heads at Carlisle. He recommended the "Indybrocks". Bare Edelbrock castings that they do their own thing on. They flow 280 cfm on the intake side out of the box, have aluminum roller rockers, I think he said 2.05 valves, 650 lift springs, offset push rod location like T/A's, push rods and head bolts also included. Told me with a 408 and my cam(solid roller 242/248@,050 and .570/.576 lift and a 10:1 compression I would be looking at 550-600 HP. What do you think??

Talked to a guy at Indy Cylinder Heads at Carlisle. He recommended the "Indybrocks". Bare Edelbrock castings that they do their own thing on. They flow 280 cfm on the intake side out of the box, have aluminum roller rockers, I think he said 2.05 valves, 650 lift springs, offset push rod location like T/A's, push rods and head bolts also included. Told me with a 408 and my cam(solid roller 242/248@,050 and .570/.576 lift and a 10:1 compression I would be looking at 550-600 HP. What do you think??

sounds made up

Don't waste your time with Indy. Send Rumblefish,a P.M. Save time,and money. Dude is brutally honest.

I bought a set of CNC ported IndyBrocks about 5 years ago. What a joke ! Flowed 288 OOTB, thats nowhere near the 306 they claim. This was on a SuperFlo 1020 at 28". The components the heads come with are crap IMO. The lowest level Manley valves made, Chinese looking retainers, what they claim to be Comp 928 springs (but are not). They are assembled with no spring seats or cups just a .015 shim under the spring. The valve job was so under sized that a 2.02 valve fit the seat just right. The rocker arm adjusters were so sloppy in the rocker arms that I just replaced them from the get go. All in all once everything was fixed, I had a set of nice heads. For the money definitely a bad deal though.
I would recommend a set of CNC ported RPMs. Virtually as good a head for round about 2/3 the money.

I am so confused right now I have no idea what to do. I'm ready to sell everything and just go buy something already done.

-
Back