360 and lots of questions

-

George Lawicki

Reaction score
So thinking about swapping /six to a 1994-01 360 for example What are the items I need and the overall difficulty finding them.

You'll need a V-8 K-Frame. Motor mounts. And, IIRC, an 8 cylinder transmission bellhousing.

I recently swapped a 2001, 5.9 into my 66 Barracuda that was a 273.

Lots of info posted. Read through it all and if you have any questions, post them up!! Here's more reading from swaps Gabe did. He was very good keeping track of everything.

Diy - Magnum Swap!!

• '96 (I believe '96 was the 1st year??) and newer 5.9's have a balanced flexplate already attached to them so get that with your engine and you can run a neutral balanced converter
  • If you are running headers, grind the drivers side motor mount blocks that are on the side of the block off, they might interfere with your headers

If you are running headers, grind the drivers side motor mount blocks that are on the side of the block off, they might interfere with your headers

Good point!!

On my 2001 5.9 Magnum, the Doug's headers fit okay, but the truck mount on the driver's side hit my power steering gear box. I had to grind some off the mount.

Also had to grind a boss near the starter. The mini starter wouldn't fit flush until I ground on it some. Would have been much easier to do before dropping in the engine!!

You don't need to use a V8 K frame if you buy mounts to go from a /6 k frame to a V8 small block. The link to the Trans Dapt mounts above is for a 67-72 /6 k frame to a small block V8. 73-76 would need /6 spool mount k frame to a small block V8. You do not need a center link to go from /6 to V8 in 67-76 A bodies. They were all the same.

Regardless of staying with the 6cy or go to the v8 "K" member have the 2 plates welded together all the way around. Originals were just tact together, and it has been 40 plus years of all kinds of wear and tear and abuse.

-
Back