360 BALANCING

-

WAYNE0

Reaction score
Ok 360s are externaly balanced and 340, 318s are internaly balanced correct ? I finaly took my barracuda out for a test drive that has a 360 with a super charger. I didnt go over 3000 rpms. I went for about a mile and then came back and check the timing since it was up to temp. Took it back out and did another mile. On the wy back i decided to get on it alittle more from a rolling start. I heard this awful grinding skweeling noise coming from the engine bellhousing area. So i took it easy the rest of the way. When ever i would give it around 1500-2000 rpms it make that noise. My thinking was the throwout bearing. I couldnt sleep that night and i got to thinking. 360s are externaly balanced and i put on a wide spacer and the pully for the super charger on the crank pully. Did i just spin a bearing because its now out of balance ? I closed the garage door and never looked back. Either way i going to sell the super charger and everthing i have for it because that extra weight cant be good for a externaly balanced engine. Ant thoughts ?

Check to see if something is hitting the dust cover on the bellhousing. Dust cover could be bent, or a bolt might have back out and is hitting the dust cover. Throwout bearing may have given up, or maybe jumped loose from the fork and is dragging on the clutch. If you bought the supercharger used, it might be that thing making the noise. I've never known an average working guy that had any luck with a supercharger. The deep pockets guys can keep throwing money at them to make them work...lol. Good luck with it, and I doubt the pulley spacer is the culprit.

Are you feeling a vibration Wayne?

Its not a belt I dont have a dust cover on it yet. It sounds like its coming from the back of the block/ bellhousing area. It always ran rough and the shifter shook. I chalked that up to it not running right, timing being off, running rich, plugs fowling. The more i think about it it ran smooth before the super charger. Either way im hoping to sell the super charger to pay someone to fix it. Im tired of laying on my back on cold cement. Ever have one of those cars that your just tired of working on ? If its a spun bearing it just might find a new home. I have my eye on a 69 barracuda i would like to have. I just might take it all off then see how it runs. It shifted fine & it has good oil pressure.

Sounds like you have a good plan. If you put it back to just a carb and intake and it still makes the noise......the shortest reply AJ has ever given may be correct.

I had a 74 360 here and it would make Chafing sounds at higher RPMs. It had a neutral balance converter and was out of balance. I am not sure how many miles but only in the car for a month. Driving , Tuning, Starting and reving it for friends.

We tore the engine out and discovered the trust bearing was wiped . The pressure from the converter was causing the counter weight to scrape the block. Replaced the thrust bearing after seeing there was no wear on the crank shell. Noise was gone. replaced the converter. Car never had the problem again.

My son balances engines and he just took a neutral balance flywheel and made a 360 external out of it using these blueprints. Any Machine shop can do this. using an indexer table and the correct taper bit.

001 (3).jpg

it's easy to check if the 360 balance weight is still in place. look at the front of the convertor/flexplate from underneath (after removing the dust cover) and rotate the motor 'til you see it (or where it was). this pic shows the weight and how easy it'd be to check it's there.
neil.
1725804363586.png

it's easy to check if the 360 balance weight is still in place. look at the front of the convertor/flexplate from underneath (after removing the dust cover) and rotate the motor 'til you see it (or where it was). this pic shows the weight and how easy it'd be to check it's there.
neil.
View attachment 1716300605
He said it has a throw out bearing. So I believe its manual trans.

I re-read your original post. Just putting on a supercharger pulley shouldn't hurt anything. They're all neutral balance as far as I know. Maybe a better question is how much boost and what sort of oiling system do you have?

Last edited:
If you felt the vibration in the shifter handle, I'd start looking in the clutch and throw out bearing area. My stick truck started that squealing all of a sudden and come to find out the throw out bearing took a dump.

The spacer and drive pulley for the centrifugal supercharger are neutral balance and if you have the correct external balance dampener on the crank then adding those to it won’t effect balance in any way.

did anything else at all get changed when you fitted the supercharger? just trying to determine if it's definitely to do with that. although it could still be another unrelated fault that happened/worsened at the same time (coincidentely).
neil.

Then engine had a fresh rebuild when i bought it I bought a flywheel that came off a 360 engine. When i had it running without the super charger it ran smooth and no oli leaks. I put the super charger on then it shakes and im chasing oil leaks. I notice thatv the rear main seal is leaking know. I stuck my hand up and turned the throwout bearing and it skweeked . Its just barely riding on the clutch.

If you felt the vibration in the shifter handle, I'd start looking in the clutch and throw out bearing area. My stick truck started that squealing all of a sudden and come to find out the throw out bearing took a dump.

Yup. You know when the squeal they’ve had it.

-
Back