360 build up suggestions?

-

cuda67bnl

Reaction score
Ok guys,

Since I dug the old rotten fish out of the barn, I'm trying to assemble my game plan, and get things started. I'm gonna start with the motor. I have a '71 model 360 block, bored .30 over, with the stock crank. I had them both machined about 8 years ago, and they've been bagged in the spare bedroom every since. I'm gonna use them as the basis of this new build. I'd eventually like to make this a high 12 second ride. Who's got the best aftermarket aluminum heads out right now for the money? I'd like to simply bolt something on without doing a lot of extra work to them. What about rods? Any recommendations there? I've been looking at the Eagle H-beams. Is there something better for a better price? Cam selection? Intakes? I'm open to all suggestions.

Jimmy

Edelbrock RPMs are your best bet for heads. Maybe even the Magnum RPMs. The Eagle H beams have a good reputation, Just stay away from the ESP I beams.

for a 360 with alumn heads.. heck thats an easy build...

you can keep the short block pretty stock.

your gonna need pistons so go with something that will get you a little over 10 to 1 compression with eddy heads.

use the 6077 eddy heads

508/292 mp cam

performer rpm intake

750 dp carb

headders

904 with good converter

3:91 gear

should be good for low to mid 12's. mine like that has gone a 12.17

Joe,
Are you running stock rods? What type of valvetrain?
Thanks.

Jimmy

Chuck, I am praying for you as well, they have a bad rep in most cases, hopefully your rods are better then most of what people have been sold.

I like Joe's suggestion if you wish to go with an aluminum head, if not use the HD Magnum heads from Hughes, I like the price and pretty I have talked too likes the machine work on them, flow pretty dang good for an iron head also.

Joe has a Mopar Perf 360 short bloakc so its pretty much stock bottom end with Hyp pistons.

cuda67bnl said:
Joe,
Are you running stock rods? What type of valvetrain?
Thanks.

Jimmy

yup basically a stock bottom end.. its the 9to1 mp short block...

valvetrain is just stamped steel rockers.. nothing really special anywhere..

DSC09923.jpg

DSC09924.jpg

cuda67bnl Is this an auto or manual car? What gear ratio is back there or will be back there?

The build;

Keith Black Hyper-U's @ zero deck. (KB107+30)
Edelbrocks RPM intake and heads with a head gasket of no thicker than .040
750 cfm carb, K&N extreme air filter on top.
1-3/4 super comps from Hooker or tti's headers I myslef would go 3 inch exhaust. 2-1/2 would cut it. 3 would be better. Ethier Dyno Max or Hooker Ultra flows would get the nod on mufflers.

Hyd. cam option; Comp cams Extreme hi-lift
XL285HL, A 2500 - 6500 Hyd. Cam with specs @ .050, 241 - 247, .545 -.545 lift on a 110.
(Comps also has a exteme hi-lift mech. cam)
If I had money, ha ha ha ha, it would be the extreme roller, XR280R, 242 - 248, .570 -.576 on a 110.

Lunati and Huges are the other 2 companys I would look at.

Comp or Crane mech. rockers or roller rockers would top the heads.

I shoulda mentioned this is an automatic..... The current rearend is just an old 7 1/4 with highway gears. (2.76's??) I've got an 8 3/4 from a challenger with 3.55 suregrip, and if I can find an affordable a-body 8 3/4, that gear will likely be in the car. Rear ends and gearing is next on my gameplan, and I'll likely start another thread on that.

The general consensus seems to be that stock rods will be okay for what I have in mind. I have some standard ones, and some old floaters. Which is the better choice?

I appreciate all the replies. Keep 'em comin......

Jimmy

360 .030 over
holly 600 DP
weiand x-cellerator intake
cromoly pushrods
cam is sum 20-232-4 .480/.480 lift 280/280 duration
9 1/2" X 26" MT's
2600 stall
8 1/4 suregrip with 4.10's
cheetah manual valve body
904 tranny
ss springs
stock shocks
MP distributor with msd2 coil
stock valve J heads
Dynomax headers with X pipe, 2 1/2" exhaust, magnaflow "wideopen" mufflers

This in a 3480lb Dart ran 12.96 at 104 last Wednesday.
I'm sure you could pick the parts a little better and improve on it. (ie carb and intake)

340mopar said:
Adam you are scaring me, I have the Eagle SIR I beams in my car.

Chuck

The Eagle SIR rod is a solid choice for engines up to 500 HP. Even one of the Engine Masters 500 cube 700 HP motors was built with them.

The best part of the SIR rod is they are less expensive than having stock rods resized with good bolts. Plus they are matched to +/- 2 grams and are bushed for floating pins. The ones I am using were within 1 gram.

The stock rods are 4340 steel IIRC and a good set of rod bolts will top it off nicely. I'd use the floaters if possible.

3.55's? Well that puts my cam choices out the window! LOL

To get into the high twelves, (12.70/80). I assume this is going into the '67 Baracuda. 360 with stock lower end (rods too), Keith Black hyper's a true 9.5 compression, Air Gap, 750 Holly vac. sec. (3310), adjustable rockers (Crane forged 1.5), 1 3/4 headers, bowl ported, gasket matched 'J' or any of the other '70/'80's pre magnum heads. I woud use the 2.020 intake valve, but you could get it done with the 1.880 valve. cam with duration @ .050 in the 230-240 range with an actual lift in the .500-.525 range. Twelves would be a piece of cake with a good, solid and cheap 360 built to these specs. Be hard to keep it out of the twelves. No real need for 'H' beam rods or aluminum heads, rollers cams...

I agree with the idea of nothing exotic needed,stock rods,bowl ported heads,medium camshaft (I like the comp xe275 hl) ect. and you should have a solid twelve second car.One thing I would say is there really is no such thing as a aftermarket bolt on head,most all should be checked out and most do not live up to advertised flow numbers out of the box.

I agree with the XE275HL camshaft. It is a very good cam. I am running that cam myself. 231 @ .050 with .525 lift. With the 1.6's I am using, it gives me .545 @ the valve. Super responsive and with good sound. Good vacuum, pulls hard up top. Works well with lower compression engines. Be VERY healthy in well built 360. Terry.

dgc's build is a nice solid one too. Basically, good machining, and decent parts choices, adn you're there. Nothing exotic needed. dgc used Magnum heads too.

-
Back