360 cam identification

-

67/6barracuda

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hello folks,
I'm curious to see if you guys can tell me what cam I have by the part number stamped on the end of the cam. It reads 645, then there's what looks like a M or Z that's circled, then A2. (645 M A2) with a dab of yellow paint. By the distributer gear there's 1108 casted on it. I thought maybe an old melling or something but google has turned up nothing. I figured you guys might have seen something like this. My plan is to replace it with a XE256H for the 360/727 in a 67 barracuda. Also LD4B, 340 exhaust manifolds, and 7.25 rear with 2.76 gears. I wanted to put on a four barrel but the 360 has '973' 318 heads and with what I thought a 2 barrel .410/.412 cam but I am not sure I guess i need to buy a caliper and measure the lubes. Thanks in advance guys.

Attachments

• 1971 360.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 256
  • 360 CAM 1.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 294
  • 360 cam 2.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 277
This what I recently found. I believe it maybe a CS-645 sealed power camshaft if so its a 318 2 barrel replacement with weak numbers.

Intake Duration at 050 inch Lift:181
Exhaust Duration at 050 inch Lift:192
Duration at 050 inch Lift:181 int./192 exh.
Intake Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio:0.351 in.
Exhaust Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio:0.400 in.
Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio:0.351 in./0.400 exh.
Lobe Separation (degrees):109

I'll try and read between the lines here.....

You have a...
360 short block.
Mid 70's 318 heads.
Hi-Po manifolds.
2.76 gears

And you want to add...
a LD4B intake :thumbrig:.
a XE256 Comp cam :thumbrig:. Along with a fresh set of 901 springs, I hope?

I say...just do it & screw the original cam...whatever it is. :)
Assuming a stock torque converter, that can actually be a very good, low comp/daily driver combo, imo. Just use a 500/600cfm Eddy or Holley carb, along with a good/aggressive timing curve.

I could see 325/350 lbs.ft. & a true 250hp@5000rpms with it.

I think that could put a smile on you face...:)

OldmanRick,
I'm hoping for anything above 250HP as a plus and a very usable torque curve with a light A-body. I have to do something about the 9" drum brakes next. The 7.25" rear will have to do as I attend to the interior and bodywork. I ordered the xe256h already. Hopefully be here this weekend, was going to try and get away with the stock springs but I guess ill order up the 901's to play it safe. Happy 4th of july! God Bless America

Just to clarify, the torque numbers I posted were meant to be a average, not a peak number. Yes, I am kind of a stickler when it comes to springs. The're cheap insurance and one less thing to think about down the road, imo.

When I was first starting out many moons ago :), a lot of us built "small head/valve" combos for our "tow cars". Yep, lots of us did tow with 4dr boat's & wagons back then...lol. What I'm getting at is, engines like that run surprisingly well.....better then most would think.

I think your car will be easily capable of running 14's with some practice, get decent mileage, run on any pump swill, and teach a few "greater" cars a lesson or two with a burst here and there on the street.....

Oh, and Happy 4th to you too!!! It's my youngest Daughter's birthday also. She'll be 33yrs.....Man I'm gettin' old :banghead:.

-
Back